Thread: Astra coupe ecu and p0505 fault code

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Astra coupe ecu and p0505 fault code

Hi I am desperate for some help with my car. I had p0505 (idle control voltage high) logged in the ecu after mil came on car not idling correctly and losing power ,Changed the throttle body but this did nothing to cure the fault .I then sent the ecu off for test where they found a fault on the 5v side repaired and sent back.I had the ecu refitted back to the car but the fault has returned .Having put opcom on to read the data Iwas wondering if the voltages at the idle control valve are right.The throttle control sens reads 4.0v T.p.S 4.4v tps servo signal 5%.
    coolant temp 4.5v in air temp2.7v maf 1.1v mafsens 18.0kgh
    egr 0% egr feedback 0.9v. I would be very grateful if anyone could point me in the right direction and possible causes .

Astra coupe 1.8 x18xe1 engine
    Regards Tina.................

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I know you said changed throttle body but is it a different idle control valve?
    Contact me for fault codes cleared, key & immobiliser programming etc in East Yorkshire!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi phil ,I understand that on this model the idle control valve is all built into the throttle body and is sealed up .
    Thank`s Tina,

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi just an update we have put an opcom reader on the car and I would like if anyone could give any advice on these readings:
    with engine running

Throttle control sens signal 4.0v
    Throttle pos sens 4.4v
    Throttle pos servo 9%
    Cool temp 3.1v
    intake air 2.7v
    intake air temp 8degrees
    Maf 1.1v
    Maf sens 18.0kgh
    Egr 0%
    Egr feedback 0.9v
    o2 sens 685-4685mv
    o2 intergrator 132-146steps
    Iac intergrator -128steps
    Adaption slope -128steps
    Iac 14steps

Any feedback greatly appreciated .
    Thank`s Tina

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    When You've got live data up & blip throttle does voltage change?
    Contact me for fault codes cleared, key & immobiliser programming etc in East Yorkshire!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi phil thank`s for enquiring when press throttle i have noticed that the throttle pos sensor starts to drop .The throttle control sensor stays a constant 4v and does not alter. you see the o2 sens fluctuate between those 2 values on the list I hope this can shed some light on this fault.
    Thank`s Tina..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, I have exactly this same problem on my daughters car, the code is also identical. I have substituted known good throttle body(with built in sealed idle control valve and throttle potentiometer). Also tried coil pack, and airflow meter.
    What I have noticed is that if I clear the code, the car runs perfectly for around 5-10 seconds, then the code reappears, mil light comes on, and the misfire returns. I have tried disconnecting the throttle body with the car running - the idle speed increases to 1200 rpm and the misfire dissapears! Quite what this means I don't know..........
    What confuses me is the fault description, where exactly is this voltage measured? I will spend some time and see if I can identify an input with a common link to the idle controller, what else can I do?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    id be checking for an air leak on the manifold

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Why air leak? the thing idles perfectly, even with the fault code up. The more I've searched into this the more it looks like an ecu fault - certainly I haven't found any easy fix answers, In fact I'd go as far to say this system is the biggest load of shit I've ever seen - why oh why did they seal the lot in the throttle body? And Why are the ECUs so expensive?
    I'll be getting into the guts of it again tomorrow, still many questions to answer..
    Thanks for responding,
    Huw

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    OK, after much use of OPCOM, the workshop manual and a cup of tea or two, it seems the idle "motor" - it's actually a solenoid, is OK. Someone had been there before me, cut the wires to it and resoldered them, so this isn't a new fault on this car. Anyway, measuring with a multimeter showed no voltage whatever, other than 12vdc supply on one side. idle speed was a little high, so I would have expected to see some corrections. On applying 12 to the solenoid the butterfly snapped shut and the speed dropped. Checked the wiring to the ecu - OK.
    So, my diagnosis is:- faulty ecu, probably the output transistor stage.
    Now, what to do about it. Ideally i'd like to tell the ecu to ignore the fault, but opcom doesn't have that facility - does any other software do it?
    Failing that it'll be a "new" ecu - given the numbers of people with a similar fault I'm not sure I want an ebay special.
    So it looks like hundreds of pounds for an ecu, plus whatever it costs to code it to the car - can OPCOM do that?
    More to the point does anyone have a suggestion for a supplier - other than Vauxhall of course!
    thanks,
    Huw