Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: MK4 Astra 2.2 SRi's around 2003...

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)

MK4 Astra 2.2 SRi's around 2003...

Any good? I know I have a thread on here asking about the z20let engined MK4's but sort of interested in the 2.2 aswell.

I remember reading something about some oil feed which fails and kills the top half of the engine? I'd be looking at 2003ish cars if that makes a difference and anything is revised?

Otherwise, anything else worth knowing? Thanks!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The oil spray nossle when blocked causes the timing chain to run dry, this is a big killer

regular service, oil change etc can help avoid this
    End of an era - She's gone to a good home

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Yeah thats the one, forgot the specifics, cheers for the heads up

Is there any way this can be checked or is it a big top end strip down etc?

Are the 2.2's a better option than the 1.8 petrols? I know 0-60 is similar but 30-100 is what matters I know neither are gonna be as quick as my current car however. (Golf 1.8 20vt remapped etc)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Think you need to tell us what you like in a car, by the sounds of your above comment

you like acceleration, you want to be looking at vehicle specification, the more LB/FT the quicker the acceleration

if you can afford it, buy a 2.0T SRi (SRi Turbo will be a little cheaper than a GSi but basicly the same car)

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    Well of course with me currently driving a turbo'd car around 195BHP/210lbft I like torque, which I know I'm not gonna get quite the surge of low down with any n/a car really... but I'm looking for something cost effective really. I've had a couple of Corsa's, they've been good cars and took some abuse well And it made me have faith in Vauxhalls. I have this VW now and it's always costing me money, on stupid niggly issues - never anything major, but the engine is a peach despite its 141,000 miles! lol

Ideally a 2.0 SRi turbo would be the one, but seem some MINT condition 2.2's for like 2500 quid and if they're not worth dismissing I'd consider them. I'm after something cheap to run, reliable and which can take a bit of a beating now and then but still a smooth drive, good gearchange etc. I have never driven a MK4 but would imagine the drive would be similar to my Golf? With the size and all

I don't drive hell for leather everywhere, quite rare infact.. I don't NEED a quick car, but it's good for bragging rights down the pub

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Vauxhalls are good solid cars, I dont know what MPG you will get from a 2.2 but I do know that a STD 2.0t will get about 330-350 mpg once mapped you will be lucky to get 290mpg

round town that is

the 1.6 definately wont have much about it, the 1.8 probably wont have much more, there is a straight 2.0l but I aint sure which model it is, got a funny feeling it was SRi or a LTD run of early GSi

2.2 have tuning potential but they give little back after spending lots

I believe there might have been a few very rare 1.6 turbo astra's made, I have only ever seen pics of one, would be interesting to know if these actually exist.

EDIT - the 1.6 Turbo, doesnt seem to exist according to google, well not a factory build.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    3 Post(s)
    It'd have to be at least a 1.8 and an utter minter for me to have it if it had that engine lol, as I've got a 1.8 turbo Golf at the mo

I read something on honestjohn about 2003 onwards some correction bolt or something to that effect fitted to stop this nozzle clogging up issue... anyone know about this and thus confirm if 2003 onwards 2.2's are "safe"?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it was only the early model 2.2's that had the issue with the nozzle. by early i mean around mid 02 and earlier.

Only thing I would recommend is changing the timing chain every 100k km just for peace of mind. My 2.2 is almost at 225k km still going strong and never missed a beat.
    04 Astra Sri - Silver - Full red leather interior - Star light roof lining - 888 wheels - lowered - ice - exhaust - quite a few other little things.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I dont think you get a whole lot more performance from the 2.2 compared to the 2.0...but iirc the mpg is fairly different?!

Seen a fair few timing chain failures knocking about!
    Project Money Pit - Mk4 Astra Sri Tubby!

Z20LET Goodies wanted!! **PM me

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i had 2.2 for over a year only needed a starter bit pricey cost £260 but hey thats no major fault , i know these are known for tining chain snapping but i think that would be only the NOT looked after ones , me personally would put a few hundred to your funds and go for the sri t , seen a few about ot 3k mark . i sold my 2001 in black for 1650 and it was absalute minter .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast