Thread: 2.0 DTi Review/opinions

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.0 DTi Review/opinions

I'm looking into buying a 2.0 dti. I知 coming from a GSi but its looking like I知 going to be taking a pay cut soon and I知 doing a fair few miles in it so its costing me a small fortune a month just in petrol.

I don稚 really know a great deal about these engines so can anyone give me some advice on what to look out for (engine wise) when making a purchase? Are there any reliability problems or common faults?

Also what are these generally like to drive and are they any good with fuel economy. I do a few motorway runs but generally I sit in about 9 miles of traffic a day getting into the city centre and this is where the GSi is pretty poor on fuel economy.

I知 specifically looking for a 3dr SXi or SRi but I知 not seeing too many about.

Whilst I知 here as well, i cant seem to find the answer anywhere but does the SXi or SRI have the on-board computer telling you your MGP etc or is it just time and radio station?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    My wife's Zafira does more than well with this engine in. 100-ish bhp, 169ftlbs torque, handles 2 adults, 2 kids and a boot full of shopping without problem.

Almost 」60 to fill the tank at current prices, and considering it does 99% town driving, it easily hits 450miles+ per tank, does closer to 500 miles on long motorway runs (e.g. when we drove 260 miles there, then back on holiday last year, we only had to top up by about 」25 to get home and we did plenty of running around during the hols too).

No trip computer on the Zafira (Elegance), not sure on the Astra.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    my mates astra has no on board trip and it is a 5door sxi all be it the 1.8 petrol

the 2.0dti is a solid engine good on fuel and geared long my dad has 1 covered 60k in it no problems with it at all and my misses has one which is running lovely at 90k i heard story's of them doing 420k but that was a vectra c seen them do over 200k in the astra no bother tho

the fuel pumps can fail which can be a pain but otherwise a great motor starting to wish i had brought 1 myself over my 1.7 cdti

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have 2.0 DTi SXi. Y reg.
    It's a good drive. Feels very solid. Engine hasn't let me down yet.
    My 1.3 Hyundai Accent did more mpg though. On 」10 it would do 90-100 miles. With my DTi I'm getting 60-70. Terrible. But on the motorway it's very economical. I was quite surprised by the 400 mile trip on 」20.
    Pulling away is soooo slow compared to petrol cars but it does pull very well once the turbo kicks in.
    During winter the handbrake tends to freeze on almost every night which is damn annoying. My driveway is very slanted so it's worrying to park it without the handbrake.
    The engine is pretty loud outside but it's actually very very quiet inside the car.
    If you're looking to modify it, performance wise, it seems to be quite difficult. Not many places sell performance parts for it. Though some parts like the exhaust back box can come from the petrol models. Irmy back box fits all astras.
    My car doesn't have a display that shows mpg, just has the time/date/temp. Thoguh I did see a 1.7DTi with the better computer which was a 51 reg. So I'm sure you'll find one if you keep looking.
    Astra G 2.0l DTi 16v

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Common issues are leak off pipes, injector seals, egr valves, maf and fuel pumps. But all cars have common issues

There are a few bargains to be had but depends on your budget?
    .. 2.0 Dti 16v ..
    .. With a few mods ..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Geriguiguitu View Post
    I was quite surprised by the 400 mile trip on 」20.
    even at 」1.00 a litre that works out at 93mpg what did you do push it half the way?

Quote Originally Posted by Geriguiguitu View Post
    On 」10 it would do 90-100 miles. With my DTi I'm getting 60-70. Terrible.
    70 miles to 」10 is 46mpg not terrible if you ask me very good for that engine bearing in mind 」10 only gets you 7 litres these days

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    excellent engine, budget 」30 ish for a crank shaft sensor these are pron to giving up at 100 K for no apparent reason other than its done 100 K.

I had a fuel pump onmine which was done under warrenty most of them failed within the manufacturese warrenty so not much to warry about really.

Excellent little motor pitty the rest of the car died first. Best run i did was 650 miles out of a tank ... i lost the bottle at that point and filled it up at the next station.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Birmingham, United Kingdom, United Kingdom
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My little 1.7 Dti still pulls 450miles to a tank with a petrol gearbox!!! I top off at 80 but w can keep with a 150 cdti in most places before i messed with the engine. But i can imagine the 2l being a TINY bit better with a diesel box on as they do lag below 2k :/ I would still recommend the 1.7 though
    Irmscher Edt Z20LET Coupe, 2.5" Turbo Back Cobra NON-Res pop and bang with Stage 2 Goodies

Status
    AOC Regular
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have an estate astra G with the 2.0Dti. As already said a pretty reliable engine. I get around 430-450 miles per tank around the town but can get 500+ on a motorway run. Its not a sluggish engine unlike some other turbo diesels i have driven and you get plenty of pull when the turbo kicks in. The engine is a noisy unrefined diesel, like most but vauxhall have done a half decent job or sound proof the cabin so you don't notice it too much. 110k and the engine is still going strong.
    One word of warning though fuel pump failure is common, and I beleive it fails around the 100k mark, 103k for me. The fuel pump cost over 」700 inc vat for a refurb with 12 month warranty. If you go to the main stealer you can double that for a new one plus an average of 」500 for fitting from the main stealer.
    As I have found with diesels they can be extremely reliable compared to a petrol but when something does go wrong it does cost a lot more to repair.
    Another thing to bear in mind is the mileage, you need to do a fair few miles for any big savings when compared with a petrol.
    Astra H 1.8 SRi

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Why are the fuel pumps so expensive and why that much for fitting?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast