Thread: Fog HIDs blowing fuses - ideas please

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

Fog HIDs blowing fuses - ideas please

Arghhhhhh! I got the Fog HIDs working with bumper off so I tie wrapped them up but now they are popping a fuse after 10-15 seconds! Is it likely to be a dodgey ballast? I was under the impression HIDs would draw less current.

Obviously I'll do one at a time when I've got me some more fuses but would appreiate suggestion in the meantime.........

Cheers,
    Dave
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    They may well draw less current when when HID's are fitted to the headlight they are protected by a 10amp fuse EACH. On the front fogs a 15amp fuse is doing them both so may not be enough

Of course first try unplugging each ballest to see if one is blowing the fuse otherwise i'd look at putting a relay in so they take a feed direct from the battery
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    They may well draw less current when when HID's are fitted to the headlight they are protected by a 10amp fuse EACH. On the front fogs a 15amp fuse is doing them both so may not be enough

Of course first try unplugging each ballest to see if one is blowing the fuse otherwise i'd look at putting a relay in so they take a feed direct from the battery
    I was thinking along these lines aswell. I'm assuming that putting a 20amp fuse in place of the 15amp would not be recommended.

Strangely enough I just replaced the fuse with one ballast at a time and both together and all seems well. I wonder if the HID ballast needed some 'burn in' time or the load is boarder line to blowing i.e. 13-15amps.

Cheers,
    Dave
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I definaly wouldn't recomend it especially as i've seen the wire thickness difference because the dash of the headlight wires and fog light wire

It may just be inital start up that makes them draw more current but then off and on again 5 minutes later is ok as they are still warm from before so to speak
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    I definaly wouldn't recomend it especially as i've seen the wire thickness difference because the dash of the headlight wires and fog light wire

It may just be inital start up that makes them draw more current but then off and on again 5 minutes later is ok as they are still warm from before so to speak
    Yep. I've just looked at some wiring diagrams. The fogs are 1.5 splitting to 0.75 (protected by a 15amp fuse), whereas the headlights are on thier own 1.5 (protected by a 10amp fuse). I'm not sure of the amp rating to the wire size but I think uprating the fuse would definately not be an option.

I suspect this is just during the warm up phase but can't be sure.....

I guess the OEM fog positive could be used to trigger a relay and bring in a fused relay from the battery as suggested above by Autosparks.

Cheers,
    Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    How accurate do you think this chart would be..............because looking at 0.75mm2 is between a max current rating of 9 and 11 amps and the 1.5 max current rating is 28 amps..................

I'll obviously do more research before puting in a 20 amp fuse but when I tested each fog individually they were fine and straight (i.e. when at temperature) after I tested both and they were fine.

Feedback welcomed,

Cheers,
    Dave

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just try wiring them up the way i did first it may well be a small fuse or something inside the fog housing which doesnt like the amount of current being put through it !
    [SXi Black And Red] SOLD
    [5DR XP SXI] SOLD
    2.0 CDTi Technical Grey GTC