Thread: drop the bumper.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

drop the bumper.

How easy is it to drop the bumper on my mk5 astra? Do i have to jack the car up or are the screws easy to get to? Reason being is my headlights have steamed up and want to check the seals on the bulb holders but they are not standard lights so access is very tight........well when i say very tight i mean impossible.
    Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait.
    YOU CAN'T FLY WITHOUT SUPPLY

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    We talking front bumper here?

If so, it's pretty easy to do. Pop the bonnet, and you'll see 4 expanding rivets on the top of the upper grille. Use a small screw driver to push the centre out (Try not to loose these, although the rivets are only 14p each from VX last I checked). The rest of the rivet will pop off. Tug the grille upwards to unclip it and remove it from the car.

Now get a torx screw driver, I can't remember what size it is, but looking at the bits in front of me, I think it's either a T10 or T15, but don't take my word for it... Steer to full lock, and you'll be able to see two torx screws in the wheel arch lining. Take these out, full lock the other way, same on the other side.

Now, grab the bumper where there is the split with the wing. The bumper should lift up and out, might need to pull it slightly forward. When pulling it outwards, it should unclip from the wing.

Grab a flat head screw driver, and take out the two plastic rivets that are right next to each headlight, they just pop upwards. Once they're out, there's finally 4 clip-like things running along underneath where the grille usually sits between the headlights. Push these downwards and the bumper pulls forwards.

This won't remove the bumper completely, it'll just drop it. If you want to completely remove it, then there are 3 plastic rivets underneath it that bolt the under tray onto the car. Undo these as well and the whole thing will come off.

Once all that's off, there's 3 bolts per headlight unit. I think it's an 8mm socket.
    Nimraynn
    2013-present: W plate BMW 323Ci E46 2.5 170 Coupe
    2010-2012: 54 plate Vauxhall Astra OPC Line 1.9 CDTi 150 5 door
    2008-2010: 54 plate Vauxhall Astra SXi 1.6 105 5 door

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hutster View Post
    How easy is it to drop the bumper on my mk5 astra? Do i have to jack the car up or are the screws easy to get to? Reason being is my headlights have steamed up and want to check the seals on the bulb holders but they are not standard lights so access is very tight........well when i say very tight i mean impossible.
    Try turning on the low and high beam at the same time and let it sit for a while. the heat from the lamps will soon dry them out. lol
    Vauxhall Astra SRi Xp 1.8

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My lights seem to be mist free now but we will see when the weather changes.
    Thanks to nimraynn for the how to.
    Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait.
    YOU CAN'T FLY WITHOUT SUPPLY