Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Any decent swimmers on the forums?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Any decent swimmers on the forums?

Without being big headed, i'd say that swimming is one of the few things i'd consider myself more than just "ok" or even "good" at. I've always been very good at it.

However, from the age of say 14-19 i didn't swim properly at all (properly being training, competing etc). I'd just go to the local pool & dick about like everyone else, so i lost some 'edge'.

Then i got back into it again in my early 20s. I was going quite regular & building up my stamina.

After some time, my stamina surely improved, and i was much stronger than the 10-12 year old lad i was when i was competing, yet i found something odd.

I felt like i was nowhere near as fast as i was when i was 10-12, even though i was obviously stronger.
    Another thing was, i remember banging out lap after lap as a kid. I can't remember the time frame we had for it, but i banged out 60 laps & wasn't even tired, just to attain some distance badge.
    When i was into it in my early 20s again, i was fine for a couple laps, but then i tired massively.

Chances are there's only the casual swimmer on here, but i thought i'd put it out there to see if anyone shared a similar issue & how you could work round it, or have any idea on how you'd work around it, as i'd like to get back into it more again.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    some thing to do with Size i would say

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    That was a theory i had - bigger muscles (i'm by no means a big lad, but obviously bigger than a primary school lad) would be more awkward to lug about.
    But that said, "proper" swimmers will be bigger than i am & they can go at incredible speeds & distances.

I know they'll have the training, yet when i returned to the pool & was going a few days a week for weeks on end, my speed improved as far as an all out length goes, yet the amount of laps i could put together back-to-back didn't improve a great deal.

I gave it all a chance too, not just a fortnight blast. Frustrating.

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Maybe the swimming pool was to blame, different percentage of chlorene, which had an adverse effect on your speed.

Report them

Status
    BUYER BEWARE - WE ADVISE CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    all about size and the mass you have to propel through the water, bigger body etc equals bigger surface area against the water

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Oh well. If there's very little you can do about it then i guess there's very little you can do.

Nobody really into swimming on here? I know it's not in the same league as football, but you never know

Status
    BUYER BEWARE - WE ADVISE CASH ON COLLECTION ONLY
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i'm like a lead balloon when it comes to swimming lol

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Kev....why do you think you were that much faster ??

Can you actually compare any times ?

If not, then get back in that pool, practice practice practice...you will get faster.
    You should have much more power than when you were 12.

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    I got back into swimming nearly 10 years ago now, boy did it take me a while to be able to do more than 2 lengths without drowning. I now try to do 1km on the front crawl which gets me nicely tired. I guess it takes me about 40 minutes though!

EDIT: Now coo's mentioned the 4 minutes mile I realised it was taking me about 40 minutes to do the mile and not the km
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Coo View Post
    Kev....why do you think you were that much faster ??
    Because i know i was.

Can you actually compare any times ?
    Yes actually. I remember roughly the times i got as a kid, and i remember the times i was getting in my early 20s. Per lap i was approx 5 seconds out, which is quite a bit. As a kid, my times would trounce my sister, who is also a very strong swimmer. The times i was getting in my early 20s were only just enough to beat her. (not the most scientific of comparisons, but the times were).

If not, then get back in that pool, practice practice practice...you will get faster.
    I intend to actually. I've slacked in recent years, which is why i'm hitting the cardio machines at the gym to get into some respectable shape before i hit the pool.
    You should have much more power than when you were 12.
    I certainly do

Quote Originally Posted by Autosparks View Post
    I got back into swimming nearly 10 years ago now, boy did it take me a while to be able to do more than 2 lengths without drowning. I now try to do 1km on the front crawl which gets me nicely tired. I guess it takes me about 40 minutes though!
    That's how i felt when i got back into it. The problem with swimming for me though, is i'm trying to improve my cardio levels, and swimming doesn't test me anywhere near the same as what running does, as i'm a strong swimmer, but not the best of distance runners.

At our place though, they let the dilly dalliers in the speed lanes. They should have a couple lanes sectioned off for those who want to take all day breast-stroking 1 lap. Many a time i've ploughed up the length of the pool only to have to slam the brakes on as i'm about to grip someones legs.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast