Thread: Buying blue speedo LEDs

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Buying blue speedo LEDs

I need some replacement blue LED speedo bulbs and as Oddjob seems to have gone wondered where people were getting their's from?

Cheers
    Tell me what you've done, not what you're going to!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    crazyleds on ebay are meant to be ok?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Always give Darwin a shout on here, supporting trader. Believe he does the dash LED kits
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by K3FUS View Post
    I need some replacement blue LED speedo bulbs and as Oddjob seems to have gone wondered where people were getting their's from?

Cheers
    Oddjob did mine. What look are you looking for though? Oddjob put a stack of LEDs behind mine & i assume he does the same whether it's white or black clocks he's converting). This gave me:

If you're looking to put a load of LEDs behind the mats like Oddjob does, then i'm afraid i can't help as i don't know where he buys in from.

The mileage display he did me had 6 SMDs which were made up of 2 lines of 3. These went & he fixed it again, which lasted some time before they went again. This was around the time Oddjob appeared less on AOC so i had to opt for the 509t twist ins.

If it's these that you'll be using, then i can recommend crazyleds.

However, if you're looking to put them in for the mileage display, then i recommend you don't waste your time with anything other than the Ultraquad LED. https://www.crazyleds.co.uk/Ultra-Quad-PLCC-2-509T.html

I've tried their 70p bulbs & also ones from other websites too, and to be honest/nice ..... they're shit, especially for the mileage display.

It didn't illuminate the edges at all really. Very very dim. So instead of doing 120000 miles, i'd actually only "done" 2000 miles if you get me.

So i bought in the quad ultra LED and it's quality!! It's NEARLY as good as Oddjob's mileage display conversion. The plus side is, so far it's been more reliable. Not to bag on Oddjob's work at all, as it was top drawer. I just had issues with the mileage display.

So aye, that's the only one i'd recommend.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks Kev, I'm looking for some that replace the orginal twist bulbs, one of mine has stopped working. I assume they are the509T bulbs?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Aye they are.

I've just done the gf's Corsa (she has black clocks) & did them on those 70p LEDs.

While her mileage display lights up better than mine did (i can only guess the Corsa display is smaller??) the whole look is still a bit dim for her, so i've got to go through the faff again (not as easy as getting to the Astra clocks) & replace the whole lot with the Quad ultra LED.

I'd say for the Astra mileage display definitely, if going for twist in bulbs, the quad ultra led is the only option. Costly, but worth it.

EDIT: If you don't want to shell out on the ultra led, then these are the other ones you'd be looking at https://www.crazyleds.co.uk/Blue-509T-LED..html. The only thing is, the length of the base of the holder to the tip of the bulb is quite long with these. They've changed them since i last bought some. It's probably why it hotspotted awfully on her mileage display (& why i had to switch it for a different LED i had which was shorter in length).

EDIT x2: It's not often i get to help others on here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks x3 Kev, I also have to fit some to a Corsa C and as you have said getting to the dials isn't as easy as an Astra.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    darwin does do kits for this...
    1.8 excluciv convertible '06 (silver lightninig)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Getting to the Corsa dials wasn't actually too bad i found. More time consuming than anything, as you've got to take this off, take that off, take the other off.

Getting everything back together however was a proper nightmare. The part that nearly had me giving up was that whopping plastic clock surround. Getting that back in place without snapping something. I was on the verge of giving up. Everything else wasn't too bad.

I'd hate to tackle it without steering wheel adjustment though!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    heres mine, i used crazy leds at the time, and put a couple of teh quad smds in the centre

1.8 excluciv convertible '06 (silver lightninig)