Thread: 888

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Hey guys and girls

Looking at getting a Cdti 888 to replace my focus rs as fuel costs are crippling me now

What should i look out for on these cars?

Also iv ready they are made from a standard 1.9 sr cdti, but some come up as 120 and some 150bhp when looking for insurance. Is this a problem? OR did they really make it from two different cars? (Presume engine is the same just different base map)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The early cars were 16v 120ps models, Vauxhall dropped the 16v 120ps on the Astra part way through the 888's being built so most of them are 150ps models. What you need to remember is the 888 is not a factory built car, so with most insurers you need to insure it as a modified SRi (although IIRC there were 1 or 2 insurers who recognised the car as a 88.

Think the main things to look out for:

Check for any damage to the wheels, they are no longer produced in that colour IIRC as it was a one off at the time so hard to replace unless you buy a new set in a slightly different colour.

Check for worn discs/pads as these can be expensive to replace.

Check from any rattling from the clutch as this is a sign the dual mass flywheel is on its way out

The rest just generally the same as any other Astra. Theres also a red one for sale on here in the for sale section.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Check for any damage to the wheels, they are no longer produced in that colour IIRC as it was a one off at the time so hard to replace unless you buy a new set in a slightly different colour.

team dynamics stil make the wheels to same spec even with 888 on them as i know a few owners that have had replacements

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TPTuning.co.uk View Post
    team dynamics stil make the wheels to same spec even with 888 on them as i know a few owners that have had replacements
    Ah right, I knew they still make the same wheels, but as far as I was aware the colour at the time was a special order, but great if you can now order them.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Also check 4 swirl flap issues and egr valve problems there the only other 2 common faults with all the 150 diesel engines
    YORKSHIRE OPCOM DIAGNOSTICS,CRUISE CONTROL ETC PM 4 DETAILS

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveDempsey View Post
    Ah right, I knew they still make the same wheels, but as far as I was aware the colour at the time was a special order, but great if you can now order them.

They where then they started doing the pro race 1.2's in that colour due to the interest only difference is they say team dynamics round the outside and not triple eight but you can have them saying that if you can prove your a 888 owner which is far enough

slightly off topic but why did you eva sell the 888? do you miss it? i doubt it with some of the cars it says you have on the left