Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

A few Niggly issues!

Hey all,

My car has a couple of things that have been bugging me.

When I get to my car in the morning and it has been cold the rear brakes (handbrake on rear drums) get stuck, not massively but when I set off I hear them release. They then grind when I brake for a mile or so and then they are ok.

I also think my cam belt is ticking... How easy is it to change the cambelt, pulleys (sorry if that is the wrong term but I mean the wheels that the belt wraps around lol).

It is also not the best on oil. Its not bad as I do a lot of motorway miles but will a change of oil filter help this?

Will a full service sort all of these issues out?

And finally the car is a 1999 Vauxhall Astra SXI 1.6 16v. It was serviced at 68,000 miles and it is now on 73,000

Thanks all

Dan Dan

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Bumpety bump.

Even if you can answer one of the questions thats ok

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Handbrake could be issue cable or with drums/pads sticking, perhaps needs stripping to find out why, though in this weather the cable can freeze and hence the brakes stick - I usually park mine in gear this time of year, with the handbrake off.

Cambelt - ticking can be from the cambelt rollers or the waterpump, most recommend you change the full cambelt kit which includes new rollers, and fit a new waterpump at the same time as this is cambelt driven. Kit on Trade Club (which you get access to with full AOC membership!) is about £80ish I think, pump about £35 or so if memory serves.

Oil - Vauxhall spec a 10w/40 semi synthetic - £11 for 5 litres of Trade Club and about £2 for the oil filter and sump plug washer. Doubt a change in itself would reduce oil usage unless you have the wrong grade in.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeh I have 10/40 semi in it. I read somewhere it does about 1 ltr every 1000 mile which seems about right for my car at the moment.

Will leave my H/B off tonight and see if it makes a difference.

How hard is the full kit to change? Is there a link to the trade club?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    They can do 'up to' that much before Vauxhall would consider it a problem - it seems random on these engines, mine hit 156,000 miles and was using no more than 1 litre every 20,000, others like yours eat way more

Trade Club is available via your local Vauxhall dealer/parts department - once you join AOC you get access to a section of the forum which lists the code etc.

Never done the belt myself, only ever stripped one off - I guess with the right instructions (e.g. Haynes) and for ease the cam tool to stop them spinning, it would be easy enough if you're used to that type of thing.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All the tools are at home . The local vauxhall dealer quoted me over £200 to change it.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Which is about right, belt kit £85 plus 2 hours labour at £55+ per hour