Thread: astra G c20xe conversion

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra G c20xe conversion

this is all copied from another forum so u'll have to ignore some parts of the litrature..

so i bought another astra a few months ago with the 2.2 z22se engine and ive had nothing but problems.. the first engine had a ****ed head and the new engine i got for £700 spun a bottom end shell last week...

Z22SE=crap

C20XE=cant go wrong

so im here again with another conversion, it will be kind of similar to my last one but i will have to soucre some doner parts as this is a newer astra than the other one, that means a new throttle pedal as this one is flyby wire.. and a f16cr gearbox which has great lower end gears fro the track..

ive found an engine and some smaller wheels to use as the 18's dont help for power ect so ive got some mercedes amg wheels which fit lovely and look cool!

other plans are

strip interior
    roll cage
    wheels
    coilovers
    remus exhaust system
    making parts lighter on the engine (flywheel, bottom pully etc)
    toyo T1-R tyres or maybe toyo 888's
    polybush the whole car

so watch this space for another build..

a few pics of the car and wheels to start with

Astra G C20XE> http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=290580 < click me for build thread

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    been a busy week... got alot done considering the amount of work thats had to be done..

the picture diary starts here!

the new one

2.0l dti gearbox

as the gear linkage was cable on the 2.2 i had to swap it to a mechanical linkage..

old cable linkage

new gearstick and surround

new linkage and box in except a mount

Astra G C20XE> http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=290580 < click me for build thread

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    oil cooler tarted up a little

exhaust manifold before wrap

and after

i ordered a ecotec conversion plate this time as i dont have the materials anymore to make one..

this is a mock up of how the induction system will be setup, the filter will be located in the bumper in the cool air

and this is where the oil cooler will be located, ive drilled three holes for a little more airflow and mounted it on a temp bracket

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    engine all in, just need wiring and an engine mount. not bad for 4 nights work!!

watch this space soon

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i gave the rocker cover a coat of the same black the car is coated in, and ditched the wire for a throttle cable

and then routed the cone filter into the bumper, note the wiring loom is going behind the drivers side turret which has been drilled into the car and ecu mounted behind the clocks

and then disaster... i was following my friend in his sappire cosworth and felt the back end go all over the place... i thought maybe my rear tyre had blown out but i thought i would have heard a hell of a racket if it did.

turns out that one of the pipes going to the oil cooler had blown off.. how the hell it blew off i dont know. it was'nt under any stress and was in good condition.

obviously the engine ceased and then it was rebuild time!

i dont have many pictures of the rebuild but took a picture of the damage, the big end bearings on number 2&3 had welded together and also knackered the con rods..

bare block

engine bits everywhere, ive also added a flat type flywheel

some new lighter parts from tx autosport

sorry for the poor picture i must had got oil on my camera! the sump and block were sprayed in hammerite silver and red. i also modified the drivers side engine mount from the astra gsi turbo to fit. this involved drilling out the 3 existing holes on the side on the block and tap them out to M12. and also modify the inside cam cover.

this is how it going to look all finished, just need to find out which belt to use as the c20xe belt is to big now as ive fitted the new mount. and light on this atall?

ive also sprayed the manifold satin black to clean it all up abit

all i need to do now is to find the cam belt to suite the new mount so if anyone knows what it is ide be very greatfull if you can shed some light, and also a new clutch release bearing.

future plans to the car are full coilover setup suspension, maybe a gsi front and rear bumper but i see they are very common now so i may look out of the box and find something else.

i also have a set or mercedes 17" wheels which will be alot more drivable thatn 18"s as i will be using the car on the track alot next season.

i will update soon thanks for looking

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

first off was the new suspension, ive bought new springs and shocks from jamex, i didnt go for coilovers in the end as i had a drive in a friends astra with them fitted and i didnt like the ride atall, the new springs and shocks ride nicely. 40mm all around

i also decided to give my horrible lime green calipers a lick of red

i wish i had put arp bolts on the rods when i rebuilt it but the funds at the time wouldnt allow me to, so when i drop the oil after 500 miles i whipped the sump off and replaced them, also i upgraded the sump gasket and baffle from a 2.0l 8v from autovaux

i was looking for some vernier pulleys on the net and came across these from hungary which are currently still in the mail and hope to get them next week.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i want to show them off when they are on the engine so i thought back to a few pics i saw in tv mag a couple months ago, in the TOTB feature the c20let/xe users modified the timing cover to show them off.. i thought ide have ago..
    this took abit of time to measure up let along cut it out. i use a lint grinding disc to fit a dremmel. heres some pictures

a cam i had lying about sitting behind it

i filed off the edges then primed and sprayed it back up again

thats it for now, ill update again next week as i may be getting some omega elite wheels over the weekend

some more goodies turned up, vernier pulley and i picked the lights up last night. ill be fitting them over the weekend

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i tried one of the verniers pulleys in the new hole i cau

perfect fit

and a random but from regal

been down the workshop today to take some pictures of the lights, i'm going down later to spray the other two wheels

stuck my regal sticker on aswell lol

ill update later maybe

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    a few pics i took today

pic of mk4 mount

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    its all now back in and running, i'm still breaking the engine in and ive done around 450 miles. ill post updates pcs when i get some more.

thanks for looking

engine spec

new pistons
    polished crank
    8v baffle mod
    new oil pump
    new oil pick up pipe
    vernier pulleys
    polished dipstick breather
    lightened altenator pulley
    lightened crank pulley
    x20xe modified engine mount
    m-tec powercap
    k&n cone filter in bumper
    f23 gearbox
    lightened flywheel
    ARP rod bolts
    honed bores

chassis spec

jamex springs and shocks 40mm all around

interior spec

water temp guage fitted

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast