Thread: manifold stud

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

manifold stud

hi looking 4 help av snapped a manifold stud on my 2.0 ecotec is this a common problem?and wots the repair process??

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The manifold studs around the thermostat are prone to shearign off if you un-do them or they can sheear through use. The combination of the heat changes in that area and the design of the manifold don't help the cause. It was one of the key reasons why I changed to a 4-2-1 manifold as I had two sets of stud shear within 45k miles.

Try using two nuts mounted on the stud and then tighten them against each other. Then use a spanner on the inner most nut to draw the stud out.

Faining that get a set of easy outs. They are reverse threaded so they tighten onto the stud as you try to extract it.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    The manifold studs around the thermostat are prone to shearign off if you un-do them or they can sheear through use. The combination of the heat changes in that area and the design of the manifold don't help the cause. It was one of the key reasons why I changed to a 4-2-1 manifold as I had two sets of stud shear within 45k miles.

Try using two nuts mounted on the stud and then tighten them against each other. Then use a spanner on the inner most nut to draw the stud out.

Faining that get a set of easy outs. They are reverse threaded so they tighten onto the stud as you try to extract it.
    a think stud has sheared flush with the block,ur cars looking gd btw mines is similar m8

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Thanks for the nice comment on my car.... It doesn;t have those wheels on anymore and I havenlt driven it for a good few months as been driving an SXi for work, so the SRi is for sale.

Anyway back to subject.

To remove the flush sheared stud, you need to get an easy out. Then drill a suitable small fule int he centre of the stud enough to allow the easy out to get started, then by reverse rotating the easy out, it will bit into the metal of the stud and exctract it from the head.

To do this you need to remove the manifold and radiator to get enough room to drill the stud.
    Hey YOU See Oooour Reeegin Noooo ! Toss Yer Caber Here

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Thanks for the nice comment on my car.... It doesn;t have those wheels on anymore and I havenlt driven it for a good few months as been driving an SXi for work, so the SRi is for sale.

Anyway back to subject.

To remove the flush sheared stud, you need to get an easy out. Then drill a suitable small fule int he centre of the stud enough to allow the easy out to get started, then by reverse rotating the easy out, it will bit into the metal of the stud and exctract it from the head.

To do this you need to remove the manifold and radiator to get enough room to drill the stud.
    cheerz bud where will i get ma hands on easy outs?

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    easy outs are good if the stud isnt tight in the head, they tend to snap if its hard to get out. i would if you can just weld a nut onto the end of the stud and then because it got heated up and cooled down so quickly it expands and contracts alowing it to simply twist out with a socket onto the nut. thats what i did on my car hth