Thread: Error P0481 but what does it mean?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Error P0481 but what does it mean?

Hi guys my astra has dealt a new error code, P0481. Opcom says: High Fan Relay Voltage Low - Present. well thats lovely but what does it actually mean? Ive tried finding relays and cleaning them but I dont know if ive found the right ones.

car is an Astra G with X16XEL, NO air con. the only relays i can find are in a box near the bulkhead, one purple (fuel pump?) and two green (no idea what they do) but ive removed them both and cleaned the contacts with no better result.

the fault code comes up straight away when the engines started. I know of the fan control modual but i was under the impression its only on the aircon models, haynes suggests just two relays are involved on models without air con.

can anyone shed any light on the subject?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Engine coolant blower motor 2

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok thanks for the reply but what does that stand for? are you saying it means the actual fan is goosed?

cheers.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yeah going by what my Autodata says, I would test the fan first though just in case.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ok will have the fan out and test it, thanks!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    when mine gave that fault code out it turned out to be my ecu that was ****ed !!! :-/ hope its not the case wi you tho cost £770 for a new one fitting
    Astra Convertible 1.6

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well i resorted to removing the fan, when i tested it, it was dead. I stripped it down expecting the resistor mounted tot he fan to be busted but it tested ok, so i turned my attention to the motor, turns out the brushes and armature were totally blackened/ corroded. so i clean them all up reassembled it and powered it up/ tested it, it spun freely now.

just refited back to the car, cleared the fault code but the ecu light was still on, with the same fault

switched everything off, disconnected the ecu plugs and reconnected them, restarted and fault code has gone and not come back! fingers crossed thatl be the end of it

the fan was deffo an issue as it didnt work, so heres to hoping some trouble free summer motoring.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well would you believe, the blinking code came back!!

on further investigation i think ive narrowed it down to a break in the wire from the ecu connector to the high speed fan relay- the brown with yellow trace.

the ecu connector tested out ok as did the fan relay connections. i also grounded the brown/yellow and brown/white (ecu signal wires) and the fan came on low speed and high speed, so i know all the wiring from the relays to fans is Aok.

I bared a bit of the brown/yellow in the ecu connector and tried a continuity test between there and the other end of the wire (bared near the relay) and no beep from the meter. I confirmed the wiring with haynes and by doing the same to the low speed ciruit (which i got a beep to) so for now ive twisted a new piece of equipment wire are the ecu connector end and linked it the the relay, cable tied the new wire along the loom and cleared the fault code again.

Will see how that goes, if it seems to cure it, il solder the wire up to make it reliable and carry on motoring. I wouldnt mind betting that the cable has a break in it where the loom enters the plastic trays around the engine bay. If i start getting other random faults that are in the same loom il have to have it out and fix it.

fingers crossed!