Thread: New member

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

hi, new to the forum so here goes
    i currently have a rover 200 and due to family commintments i'm looking for a bigger car, iver checked insuranc eand tax etc and im set on the type i want, its a 1.8 16v sxi 5dr astra 98-05, so i guess thats the mk4?

basically whats your veiws on this particular model?
    any problems associated with it?
    any good modifications that can be done?

cheers in advance

Status
    Hulk smash!!
    Mentioned in
    24 Post(s)
    Quoted
    25 Post(s)
    Hi, welcome to the club

There is very little difference between the 1.8 and 1.6, so maybe think about the 1.6 aswell.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    hello and welcome.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Welcome to the site.
    *** 2003 GSi - DROPPED 40MM - FULL SCORPION SYSTEM -PIPER PANEL FILTER - FORGE DUMP VALVE - FROUNT MOUNT INTERCOOLER - STAGE 2 MAP - VXR TURBO - RUNNING 260BHP ***

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi and welcome to Aoc mate

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    basically whats your views on this particular model?

very good for the money these days, expect to pay between £1000-£1500 for a fair one and £1500-£2000 for a really good low mileage one. But im sure you've priced about by now anyway. Have you though about the SRI instead of the SXI? Comes with more toys, ie cruise control, traction control, electric mirrors etc.

Also as mentioned consider the 1.6 16v as well. The only big difference between them is the 1.6 comes with 256mm discs up front, and drums on the back, and is 4 stud. The 1.8 come with 280mm discs up front and discs on the rear as well, and is 5 stud.

any problems associated with it?

EGR Valve is the main vauxhall problem, generally they go between 60k and 80k, but they can go anytime. Its not a big deal at all, parts is about £60 or £70 if i remember, and its 2 screws to change. Check for rust around the rear arches, check the boot floor is nice and straight under the carpets, check the chassis legs etc for crash damage. Ive learnt the hard way that a background check is a must. Though with a previous car, not with my astra thankfully

any good modifications that can be done?

Yes, Lots. What do you plan on doing, how much do you plan on spending etc. This site is always good for inspiration. From standard cars, to lowered with a nice set of wheels, to 700bhp zafiras, and one off models, you'll find it all here. Raceland coilovers can be got from £140 which is dam good for the money, though maybe a better set would be more robust.
    Astra Sold! Now its back! Sold Again! Who knows whats going on!

Currently Running MK1 1.8 MX5 with LSD awaiting boost, and a Red UK DC2

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thaks for all the replys, so the sri model than the sxi? whats the power differences between the 1.6 and the 1.8, checke don parkers and i got mixed reveiws on power outputs so you lot would know best.

will hopefully have a budget of around £1500 so a decent one with luck, as far as mods goes i'm going to keep them subtle, OEM alloys not too big around 16", i like the comfort of a large sidewall, uprated lights all round, possibly a HID kit if one is available for the astra? Exhaust backbox, not loud or flashy just a slightly throatier sound, LEDs and ICE install and smarten up the engine bay with some nice silicon hoses. also if their available, some AOC site decals??? will be spending little but often to ge tthe look im after, taken me two yearsto get the rover upto the look i want

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    had another look round and its the 1.6 16v that i'm on the look out for now, the sxi had slightly lower insurance and lower tax band so im sticking with the sxi rather than the sri.

what mileage is a good mielage to look for? at what mileage do the problems start to occur etc?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    iv got a 51 plate 1.8 sxi and i love it.
    so far iv done subtle mods on myn, angel eyes, colour coded door handles and side skirts, window tints, wheels and coilovers, a powerflow system exhaust (not too loud but you can tell its there), gsi bumper and a nice ice install. not to mention an irmscher boot spoiler and grey centre console.

all in all only problems iv had with it is the following;
    -rust on rear arches
    -top coil on rear springs snapping, hence i got coilovers
    -handbrake freezes when its sub -2

apart from that its a great car and not a bad one for my first haha. and for the price they go at (1500-2000) for a decent one with around 80-90,000 miles you cant really grumble.

wanting to eventually get a gsi but insurance on them is a killer!