Thread: egr mk4 help

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

egr mk4 help

hi all just curious what happend when blanking the egr valve hole off ? does the car run better ? can someone please explain how this would help thanks

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Issues with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve) are usually down to it sticking open or closed and hence affecting the airflow into the cylinders - either way, if it sticks and the ECU thinks it is working fine, it will fuel the car based on the EGR valve position. This ends up causing running problems, hesitation/stalling/poor performance.

If you blank the EGR off, but leave the EGR connected to the electrical wiring, so long as the EGR is talking to the ECU, it can't cause any running problems due to it sticking open/closed as the airflow into the cylinders isn't affected.

What you may get is incorrect fuelling as the ECU thinks the EGR is still working so fuels accordingly. Whether this is bad for the engine long term is open for debate.

Vauxhall can, for some engines, disable the EGR within the ECU map, which is generally the correct way to 'blank off' the EGR as it solves any possible fuelling and engine issues from simply blanking with a plate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    Issues with the EGR (exhaust gas recirculation valve) are usually down to it sticking open or closed and hence affecting the airflow into the cylinders - either way, if it sticks and the ECU thinks it is working fine, it will fuel the car based on the EGR valve position. This ends up causing running problems, hesitation/stalling/poor performance.

If you blank the EGR off, but leave the EGR connected to the electrical wiring, so long as the EGR is talking to the ECU, it can't cause any running problems due to it sticking open/closed as the airflow into the cylinders isn't affected.

What you may get is incorrect fuelling as the ECU thinks the EGR is still working so fuels accordingly. Whether this is bad for the engine long term is open for debate.

Vauxhall can, for some engines, disable the EGR within the ECU map, which is generally the correct way to 'blank off' the EGR as it solves any possible fuelling and engine issues from simply blanking with a plate.
    hi thanks very much,, reason i ask isd because my car proformance is really bad struggles to pull away have to have quitw a bit of rev tyo get anywere, splutters if taking of fast, tryes to stall when comeing to a stop also no power in any gear until its in the high revs, could the egr be causing this the car has 97k on it its a 1.6 8v s reg, there are no signs on dash etc to indicate a fault.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quite possibly the EGR - same symptoms mine had when the EGR was on the way out, and as with you, I had no error codes at all. I tried a blanking plate initially for pennies via eBay, it worked, so got a new Delphi EGR valve. Job done.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Not easier to give it a clean? Im thinking of giving mine a clean cos im getting some hesitation and sloppy running atm, also, what do i use to clean it ?
    The same stuff i use for the throttle body?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Tried cleaning mine, made no difference - the fact that you can't get inside them to clean the plunger etc. makes cleaning a little pointless but worth a try first if you want.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine is really bad aswell revs high at idle etc im going to try a doner egr of a local scrap yard if it cures it i am going to buy a new egr valve.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Just go for a branded one - the cheaper eBay parts are rubbish. Delphi is the one to go for.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    how much could i pick one up for

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Not sure for your engine, for mine (Z16XE) a Delphi was about £65 or so a few years ago.