Thread: Wheel size / car lowering / brake pads.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Smile Wheel size / car lowering / brake pads.

Hi there,

I'm new to the site and will hopefully be posting a lot more once I get my Astra! I'm planning on getting one in the next 6-9 months, and would like any info about what sort of size alloys I should be looking at getting?? That's if the alloys that come with the car are horrible of course!!

Also, I was wondering about how I would go about lowering the car? I wouldn't want to do it too much as I don't want it scratching along the floor.

Finally, I've been looking around at photos and have seen some red/blue parts behind the alloy wheels of some cars.. are these brake pads or...?

As you can probably tell, I'm not the most 'tech-savvy' when it comes to cars!!

Many thanks for your help, Zach.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I believe the red parts are 'brake calipers' which can be painted or covered?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    17s or 18s for alloys mate, Any bigger just proves money is burning a hole in your pocket

And you are correct, those painted parts are the calipers. The bit that houses and pushes the pads against the disc. Mine are lumious green (Silver car) and can only be painted with VHT (Very High Temperature) Paint (Also known as XHT)

As for lowering, Probably a 30-50mm drop dependent on what your preferences are. Mine is drop 45mm on springs just for the look factor and nothing else.

HTH

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by scoop987 View Post
    17s or 18s for alloys mate, Any bigger just proves money is burning a hole in your pocket

And you are correct, those painted parts are the calipers. The bit that houses and pushes the pads against the disc. Mine are lumious green (Silver car) and can only be painted with VHT (Very High Temperature) Paint (Also known as XHT)

As for lowering, Probably a 30-50mm drop dependent on what your preferences are. Mine is drop 45mm on springs just for the look factor and nothing else.

HTH
    Thanks for the help! I'm driving around on the motorway a lot and tend to have a heavy load in the car (people and luggage, etc) so it's probably an idea to get it lowered as little as possible with it still looking good, so would 30 be about right?

I'll get looking for that paint then! I'd probably have mine red or blue as I'm probably getting a black Astra, although luminous green wouldn't be bad, either! (Sorry to steal that from you ).

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Where you from, so if you are from round my area, I'll get a sticker made up and i'll put it on your car

Black and green is nice. And as for lowering, its all dependent on what look you want to achieve. Once mine is back from the bodyshop, I'll show you what 45 is like, It is a hard ride and will eventually do my back some damage, but atleast i'll have a nice looking car For you though, 30mm would probably be best.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Haha, Birmingham

I'll look at 30mm, enough for there to be less gap between tyre and arch, and not too much that the car is scraping across the floor!

I've looked at VHT, I can only find red, blue, orange or yellow in terms of bright colours. I think I may go with red