Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Diesel

Hi,

Looking to sell the 1.6 petrol and get myself a derv now as with the SE train fairs going up, its cheaper for me to drive to work! looking to get a cdti or a tdci and have narrowed down to the following that are in my price range and at a good mileage:

Astra/Vectra 1.7/1.9 CDTI
    Mondeo 2.0tdci

and yes thats as far as iv got lol.....like the passats but its a bit pricier...and also would like to steer clear or french cars....any other options? what do you lot think? Any reviews/common probelms

ALso im sure this has been asked 1000's times before so sorry...just sort of on the edge and looking for some advise

Cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Is a Ford Focus an option for you? If you get one with the 1.6 diesel engine (110 bhp version) it'll do between 60 and 70mpg on a steady run.

If reliability is important to you I'd be inclined to avoid the 1.9 CDTI engine - there are far too many reports of expensive failures with this engine. The 1.7 CDTI has a better reputation but it's obviously much slower.

I believe the 2.0 tdci is a french engine (same as the 1.6 in the Focus). However it's not meant to be as reliable. It's also nowhere near as efficient.

I'm also looking at switching to a diesel car, and thought about the same options as you. I'm probably going to end up getting a Passat 1.9 TDI. It's an older engine, but it's proven to be very strong. It also doesn't have the troublesome partical filters that are fitted with newer engines.
    1999 Astra CDX 1.8 16v Auto Estate

14th December 2012 - 200,000 miles

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    just got my daughter a vw bora (golf with a boot) its got the pd130 derv engine and must say very suprised at just how well the thing go's and is getting 54 mpg on average never had less than 46 and best was 62, ok you can get derv's that are better on fuel but the performace is amazing
    on a back road somwhere playing

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My dad had a Mondeo TDCi and it never missed a beat in 50k miles. Averaged 49mpg which for a big car doing a lot of town driving was brilliant. Very comfortable, roomy, great ride and handling and in 130ps form pretty quick. As a tool to get you from A-B they are hard to beat.
    Previous Astras: 1994 Cesaro 1.8 16v | 2002 SXi 1.6 16v | 2001 Coupé 2.0 Turbo | 1999 LS 1.6 16v
    Other Vauxhalls: 2001 Vectra 1.8 16v| 2003 Vectra GSi 3.2 V6 | 2005 Signum CDTi 150

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for all your input ....so by sounds of it avoid the vaux diesels as yes reliability is very important. and yes i forgot to put the focus in my list....id love to get a audi or vw derv but they just seem to be a little dearer, but then i spose its a better car in all.....

what do others think? so sounds like my best bet would be a ford , but what are there derv engines like in general