Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: How do you calculate your cash-in-hand from your salary?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

How do you calculate your cash-in-hand from your salary?

I'm no slouch with figures, but at the same time, i don't sell myself as a maths whizz, which is why i've come to the whizzes on here for help

I'm back at work tomorrow & whilst my employers eased up on me massively in 2010 & i got pretty much zero hassle from them tbf, i would love a job where i knew what time i was finishing.
    The thought of going back is to be quite honest, making me feel uneasy/sick. The job itself isn't bad, but i'd just love to know when i'm finishing. Love to have more than 1 Saturday off in 3 weeks (& even then the gap can be longer). Some will know what it's like to not know your finishing time. Some wont mind it, but others will know it feels terrible. You can't plan anything. If i need to do anything in town, then due to my working hours, i can be waiting 3-6 weeks before i get the chance.

I'm also limited because while my school grades are good (As, Bs & some Cs for GCSE & A-Level) i have no (what i'd call) "proper" qualifications - nothing specific.

So i need to see if i can afford to take a cut in pay.

Last tax year i got 17.4k before tax.

A lot of jobs are advertised at say, 15k per year, but that's before tax. I don't know what that equates to roughly in your hand each week/month/year.

So i'd like to know how you can work it out & then i can try & live off a lower amount for a few month to see what i can manage.

Big thanks & much appreciation to anyone who can help with this one!!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im sure theres a website somewhere floating about that tells you what you should earn after tax ALTHOUGH you will need your tax code (Typically on your payslip).

And I know the feeling about not knowing when im going to finish, one day can be 5, the next 6, the next half 5 and so on...

EDIT:
    Clicky

Thought there was a site somewhere

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that difference will be taken at the basic rate of 20% i'd guess

so roughly a drop of 165 quid a month
    25 Year old Gte restoration................Started!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot for that pal!!

Now i need to see what i can afford to drop to, if anything.

The worst thing used to be the way i was treated, but it's improved massively. Now it's the finishing times (which has never changed, but was overshadowed with the previous issue).

I work 7:30am - 5:30pm as my contracted hours, therefore if i need anything, it opens after i start & closes before i finish. I work about 30-45mins from town too.

However, for e.g. i play 5-a-side football of a Thursday.

It's not too bad in winter, as 5:30 finishes are common, but not guarunteed.

Easter> summer though, 5:30 finishes are rare. If we have a game on at 6:00pm for example, i can't just ask to go & ask the lads to cover me this time & i'll return the favour when they need to go.

You'd think it'd work, but it doesn't.

It's a case of tough tits. Miss the game. The rest of the lads will have to play with 1 man short, which often results in the game being called off, yet the fee still having to be paid.

If i want to go for a meal, i need to set it for Laaaaaaaaaaaate, because if we're expected to still be working at 6:30pm and the table is set for 7:00pm ......... tough tits, you'll be late for or miss your meal.

I had a ticket bought for Champs League 1/4 final once. Was about £33 at the time IIRC. Lads said they'd cover me. Ok this was during the time when my employers treated me like sh!t, but they tried to make me miss the game, keeping me until 6:30pm, sending everyone else bar the foreman home. Luckily i made it, only missing 5mins (but the only goal) of the game.

Needless to say, i'd actually like to have a life outside of work. That's my rant done with anyway.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by phil-mcc View Post
    so roughly a drop of 165 quid a month
    What are you calculating? I never gave a salary that i'm looking to compare LoL. Or was you taking the 15k figure? I only threw it in there as a random figure. I could just as easily try and compare to 12k for e.g.

Although i'd really like to not drop that far as that's some whack, but a lot of jobs being advertised around here are around that band unfortunately.

It seems you have to get qualified (years out, short term loss, potential big gamble) or get lucky (a workmate left with no qualifications, no experience in much, had only done labouring work & he's walked into a 30k factory job pushing buttons).

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Easy to say, and even more difficult to do especially just now, but sounds like you need to be finding yourself another job

I wouldn't worry too much about the qualifications side of things, you've got a lot more than a lot of people (myself included), a lot of employers are more intrested in experience etc,.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Aye, I calculated the difference between the two figures, divide by twelve and multiply that by 0.8 to deduct the 20%

i suppose you could look at it within that tax/pax scale every 1k drop would be roughly 65 quid a month,

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    *** 2003 GSi - DROPPED 40MM - FULL SCORPION SYSTEM -PIPER PANEL FILTER - FORGE DUMP VALVE - FROUNT MOUNT INTERCOOLER - STAGE 2 MAP - VXR TURBO - RUNNING 260BHP ***

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    What do you do for work mate?

I work in a warehouse, i was working 6 days a week but was only 2am-9.30am. and walked out with around £300 for being a supervisor

I moved closer, normal storeman so less responsibility, mon-fri 12pm-9pm and earn a good £20 more now than i did then. And halved my fuel costs

My employer didn't offer me the job based on my qualifications, but on my experience in warehouse since i was 18. My grades were all computer and info tech related, i got bored and switched to general warehouse work. Experience is sought after that bit more in the world at the moment (for me anyway, and this could vary depending on line of work)

Maybe not too helpful to yourself, but gives you an example to take on board. It sounds like they are taking the piss there. We are on job and finish. Paid till 9pm, but if work is done by say 8pm......we go.
    GSi....boosting a' ower yer honda CTR, Vtec this!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Yeah i know that experience is more valued than qualification a lot of the time. I've been for a few interviews, although not many & experience won every time.

I work for a builders merchants in the yard department & have done since i was 14 (i'm 27 now). It's the only job i've ever had (other than 2 week work placement at school).

I COULD be a supervisor & my employer was hinting on it when the current supervisor spat his dummy out, but he's put it back in & taken him back on, so that's that one knocked on the head. Plus, things wouldn't change, only the money & he's not on a lot extra either.

If i JUST use my car for work then it costs me £50 a month, probably about £60 a month now, so not bad.

A lot of that 17.3k was through overtime. I calculated if i did no overtime, i'd be looking at 14.0k or thereabouts.

Now, i can take £260 - £310 in my hand, depending. Usually about £275 i'd say.

I live at home so it's difficult calculating how much a drop would REALLY hit me in the real world. I can only guess at best.

The job itself isn't bad (now that the employers have got off my case).
    If i could guarantee finishing at 5:30 i probably wouldn't even be talking of leaving as this is even worse than only getting 1 Saturday in 3 OFF work.

Not knowing your finishing time is a killer though & is really starting to grate. It's the only sticking point at the moment for me though.

I can picture it when/if i leave though. Places knocking off at 5pm & me hanging around waiting on permission to go, expecting to have to do another 30-45-60mins lol.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast