Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 15

Thread: What the actual **** at insurance quotes?!

  
  1. #1
    Status
    Offline
    Riskoe's Avatar
    AstraSport Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

    What the actual **** at insurance quotes?!

    Looking into getting a smaller engined car this year as my 2.0 is just a pain in the ass with petrol and insurance/tax costs etc.

    I currently pay £875/year for my 99 plate 2.0 SRi.

    Just did a quote on a 1.6 SXi with same details and it came back £1,262...

    And on a 1.8 Sport its £1,368

    Taking the piss or what?
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

  2. #2
    Status
    Offline
    Joereynolds89's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The longer you own a car the cheaper the insurance gets, so if you've had yours awhile that could be a factor, its also the statistically the 2.0 is going to be drove by the maturer of the population compared to the 1.6, and its safer with added air bags, traction control, abs etc
    All insurance has gone up as of recent though, so id check to see what your renewal will be on the current car also

  3. #3
    Status
    Offline
    clanless's Avatar
    AOC Fanatic
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    494
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Nowt to do with that. Insurance premiums have rocketed because of the number of dodgy claims for injuries.

    I pay 300 quid for a 2.0litre diesel - and I'm an old codger.
    It is only when the last tree is felled, the last animal killed and the last fish hauled from the sea that we will realise we can't eat money.

  4. #4
    Status
    Offline
    Riskoe's Avatar
    AstraSport Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanless View Post
    Nowt to do with that. Insurance premiums have rocketed because of the number of dodgy claims for injuries.

    I pay 300 quid for a 2.0litre diesel - and I'm an old codger.
    Its just a vicious circle though! People cant afford sky high insurance prices so they drive without insurance, which leads to the cost going up, which leads to.. etc etc

    Ya.
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

  5. #5
    Status
    Offline
    tashalibby's Avatar
    AOC Newbie
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    44
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Joereynolds89 View Post
    The longer you own a car the cheaper the insurance gets, so if you've had yours awhile that could be a factor, its also the statistically the 2.0 is going to be drove by the maturer of the population compared to the 1.6, and its safer with added air bags, traction control, abs etc
    All insurance has gone up as of recent though, so id check to see what your renewal will be on the current car also
    What does that have anything to do with it?! He's still the same person no matter what he drives. For example, just because learners typically have small engined cheap cars, it doesn't mean the insurance for a young person is going to be the same as an older person driving it? Or am I missing your point?!

  6. #6
    Status
    Offline
    Riskoe's Avatar
    AstraSport Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tashalibby View Post
    What does that have anything to do with it?! He's still the same person no matter what he drives. For example, just because learners typically have small engined cheap cars, it doesn't mean the insurance for a young person is going to be the same as an older person driving it? Or am I missing your point?!
    This is what Im thinking, why would insurance companies go "Oh, hes gone froma 2.0 to a 1.6, hes quite obviously going to decrease in maturity..."

    Or Im missing the point entirely. When I get the smaller car Ill be 22, held a license for 3 years and have 2 years no claims. Why would it be more expensive for a 1.6 than with me being 21 and having a 2.0 car?!

    Gah Im so confused
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

  7. #7
    Status
    Offline
    Joereynolds89's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    2,099
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry, i wasnt saying in your case, i meant statistically the 2.0 is safer, driven more careful and involved in less accidents then the 1.6, or that would be the assumption, insurance see the 1.6 being driven by the younger of us, even if your not young yourself, youll still be stained by the fact your driving a car known to be for the younger kids, its usually the same that 1.1 106s etc are also more expensive then the cars less likely to be driven by a first time driver

    The way ive always been is to go outside of the norm with car purchases, and its always been cheap for me compared to friends, at 18 a had a 3.2 v6 gsi vectra and was paying less then my mate did on his 1.4 quicksilver 106... with the same insurance company

  8. #8
    Status
    Offline
    piperm's Avatar
    AOC Obsessed
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Posts
    1,336
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by clanless View Post
    Nowt to do with that. Insurance premiums have rocketed because of the number of dodgy claims for injuries.

    I pay 300 quid for a 2.0litre diesel - and I'm an old codger.

    my dad pays £290 on a mk2 Mondeo 2.0 Zetec-s which is an end of line spec and like rocking-horse s**t.

    i get f****d off because its down to age and not actual driving experience.. i'm 23 and i've been driving nearly 6 years my insurance on my car this year cost me £550 (with a works van involved).. i work all over the country as a sparky (using my works van) and i've easily done 100k miles since i passed my test in a numberous amount of cars/vans whilst my own car tends to sit at home all day doing bugger all.

    my mrs's old man is 59, he's owned the same car since brand new for the past 20 years and in its life its done 38k miles using it daily pottering about (doing a higher annual mileage than me) and he pays £120 a year.

    yet who's got the most driving experience and who's most at risk of having a crash (been as he had a minor bump 2 years ago)??

    Insurance = legalised sexual discrimination and leagalised day light robbery.. End Of.

    Yet we need it to drive so what can we do? =(
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (145K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

  9. #9
    Status
    Offline
    pitkin2020's Avatar
    AOC Regular
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Drives
    Astra H 1.8 SRi
    Location
    North Devon
    Posts
    230
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    is your insurance up for renewal or did you take out your insurance a few months ago?? I find this time of year (dec/Jan) the worst time for insurance costs. I was having a quick look in september at quotes just for rough estimates and i was getting quotes around £300 fully comp 5+ years no claims, a learner named driver and business use. Roll forward to december and I can't get it under £600 even removing the learner and business use, some companies strangely went up when i removed those. I will looking again come march and see if i can get it down then change.
    Astra H 1.8 SRi

  10. #10
    Status
    Offline
    Riskoe's Avatar
    AstraSport Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    1,685
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by pitkin2020 View Post
    is your insurance up for renewal or did you take out your insurance a few months ago?? I find this time of year (dec/Jan) the worst time for insurance costs. I was having a quick look in september at quotes just for rough estimates and i was getting quotes around £300 fully comp 5+ years no claims, a learner named driver and business use. Roll forward to december and I can't get it under £600 even removing the learner and business use, some companies strangely went up when i removed those. I will looking again come march and see if i can get it down then change.

    Got the insurance in September. Just having a look at the moment as Im looking around for a replacement car this year.
    1.8 SE2 Coupe! Let the mods begin...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 14
    Last Post: 30-03-2011, 19:18

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •