Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Error code P0170 after de-restrict

Hi All,

I'm the proud owner of a 2000(x) Coupe turbo (silver, with red leather) 43K on the clock. Really nice car for its age.....

Anyway,

After reading many posts on this very interesting site, I've decided to start on the basic mods. Starting with the airbox.

Currently, all I've done, is remove the two pipes for the standard de-restiction of the air box, nothing else done at the moment.

Since removing these, I'm now getting my EML on after a few minutes of driving. Error code P0170, which is for the fuel trim from what I've read.

I've also read that usually a faulty MAF causes this, and if replaced, the error does not re-occur.

Could this also be caused by my minor mod to the airbox? If so, would a phase 1 map cure this, or is this likely to be the MAF?

Also, been looking at the pre-cat removal, unfortunatly, I've one of the rare Coupe's where the pre-cat is integrated with the main cat pipe, and is therefore not a direct bolt on replacement. Need to save up a few reddies before I look at that mod

TIA
    Ed.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I had the same problem as you but I started getting the code after de-catting the precat portion, Couldn't figure out what it was, bought an op-com and everything to read and clear codes properly, changed MAF, made no difference etc, was on the verge of trying to change the sensors that bolt into the exhaust (forget what they called now) but then had to take my car to the garage to get cambelt etc done, got it back and never happened since! So no idea what they did, they never mentioned anything but I would of known if they changed anything as they wouldn't of done it for free!

As for the exhaust thing, get yourself across to VXR online or summin and try and find a stadard cat off the VXR, then you can mate that up to a precat de-cat and swap the whole section over, thats what I had to do.

Should be able to pick up a standard cat quite cheap, full standard VXR exhaust only fetch £50-£60 from what I see!
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

http://mypsn.eu.playstation.com/psn/...e/jahadley.png

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    that'll be lambda sensors mate(sensors in exhaust)
    not sure why doin an airbox mod would effect it so much? maybe its changed the way the air flows thru the sensor and its thrown a wobbly?
    Honda civic type R ek9

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Lambda, that's the puppies!

My errors started coming after de-catting the precat, was worried I might of knackered the 2nd lambda in the process as I obviously had to take it out etc.

Different issue to the OP, just giving my experience before anyone runs out to buy a new MAF etc and find out it's not that! lol.
    Great Minds Discuss Ideas; Average Minds Discuss Events; Small Minds Discuss People

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah thats a bumma goin to get a sensor thinkin its goin to fix it, then it doesnt! wasted a perfectly good sensor and whatever it cost to buy!
    Honda civic type R ek9

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Yeah exactly, I have the spare MAF in my shed that I bought trying to fix mine! lmao. They always come in handy though, seem to fail fair regular so don't mind holding on to it as i'm sure it will come in! lol

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah its as if vauxhall made them to break! CONSPIRACY THEORY!
    Honda civic type R ek9

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    theres not a damn thing on my car that hasnt broken. It was made out of all the rejected parts from everyone elses astras

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the heads up chaps.

I have a scanguage II which I can use to read/clear codes, (this also reads live data from the ecu, i.e. Temps,voltages, MAP pressure, well MAP did read on my old MG TD, does not read on coupe for some reason )

When I clear the code, the light stays off for a few days, but comes back on eventually. Just a pain having to reset every couple of days.

Going back to the pre cat/cat is there any pro's in using the VXR cat to join up to the pre cat removal pipe?

Might get the lambda senser done when I get round to the de- pre cat.

Cheers.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    whats the read out for the short and long term fuel trims on the scan gauage? as any problems here is what flashes up the p0170 fault code

jimbo
    ASTRA MK4 GSI TURBO
    WAS CS3 268bhp & 282lb/ft
    NOW CS4 279bhp & 336lb/ft

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast