Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Yet Another Key Fob Question

Hello,

Quick question(s) (I hope)... Some thieving git has had my keys away meaning I now only have one key for my car. This is slightly risky and I am also concerned as I part my car near to the gym where my keys were nicked.

I don't fancy paying Vauxhall anything so am going to have a go at resolving this problem myself...

Can I buy something like http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/2-BUTTON-REMOT...item230c9658f5 which consists of a new blade and new transponder chip along with a refurbed key fob

And then buy one of these: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.d...=STRK:MEWAX:IT

And then use Op-com software to do the following:-

1. Make the car forget the lost key transponder so the missing key can longer be used to start the car

2. Make the car forget the lost key fob so it cannot open the doors remotely

3. Program the new key with an immobiliser key so it can start the car

4. Program the refurbed key fob to arm/disarm the alarm and operate the central locking remotely

Finally get a blade cut (I assume a good lock smith can do this)?

Does the above sound feasible? This seems like the cheapest way of doing it (30 for the keyfob and blade, 30 for the op-com, 5-10 to get Timpsons to copy the key)... I want an op-com anyway...

As a further add-on, is there any particular issues with op-com's on eBay will all of them allow me to do the above operations? Does anyone recommend a particular seller?

All above said, how much can I get a key sorted and working in Leicester for?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I bought an Astra Mk3 key at Timpsons, they cut and copied the code for me but they couldn't do a Mk4 for some reason. I bought a Mk4 remote key fob and and blade off E-bay for about £15 with the chip (think I dropped lucky to be honest), had it cut at a locksmiths for £7 and a mate Tech2'd the immobilser part for me but couldn't do the remote locking because it wasn't 'the right frequency or something on the innards was wrong for my car as it has the factory fit alarm' ? Someone else on here may be able to advise on this.
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    That all sounds about right but be careful what remote you buy as the one for a alarm is different

If you already have OPCOM i'd look at deleting the old key now though
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Have a look here http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=251948 3rd one on the list is the one for most factory fitted alarms and here http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...29#post2493429

First thing to do is not park your car at the qym until you've had the key fob thats currently sorted in the ECU wiped off, that way the key cannot open or start your car. Then choose which option of replacement key you want to use from the above links.

Best of luck mate.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Markings found on the 'Megamos' type (factory alarm) :

Markings found on the '5442' type, this doesn't work with factory alarm :

I have both as I bought the second one by mistake !!
    Astra Elite 2.0 CDTi