Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why pay more for Breakdown Cover? Why?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Why pay more for Breakdown Cover? Why?

I just went on the gocompare site and for a 9 year old mk4 the breakdown cover (which includes Roadside, Recovery, and Onward Journey anywhere in the UK) comes to only £32 with a company called First Call UK. It covers whoever is insured on the car.

Now, their Homestart is an extra £40 per callout, but I'm figuring I don't really ever need that part of the cover. If I break down within 1/4 of my home I just get a tow to my local garage from my mates.

If the above is so cheap, why do people religiously tend to stick with the 'big boys' i.e. AA, RAC, Green Flag, etc.
    ?

And anyone know of any other good offers?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    because i pay about that for Roadside Relay with AA

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Because I won't reliable quick cover, and I don't pay a lot more than you do for a company I have never heard of, that will send a sub contractor that has little to no checks.

Your instants recently the seat broke down on the drive. We needed to get it to seat so it could be fixed user warranty. As it was the AA I was happy for him to collect it and drive off with it. I never went with the car and it was delivered to seat as requested.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I would personally pay a little more for a company I have heard of and can trust, i.e. AA.

Have made use of the membership in the past, and has been very useful. On one occasion they didn't have an AA patrol man in the area who could get to me, so they sent a local "approved" guy to me. He had no where near as much technology as the AA patrol people do, literally only just a tool box, not even diagnostic equipment.

AA would always come out and plug a machine in if my old Megane had a "christmas treet moment". This guy just said disconnect the battery and reconnect again.

Oh, and to add as well, what happens if you break down 100+ miles from home with your cheapy cover and need a tow home? AA cover I have will take me anywhere in the country I need to go.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm with the AA myself and literally got off the phone to renew my car break down for the 3rd year with them. I'm on one of their most expensive levels of cover paying £20 per month (with student discount - otherwise £28 per month).

Their efficiency hasn't faltered at all! I get Roadside - Home Start - Relay - Stay Mobile - Breakdown Repair up to £2500 all covered. Hell, so if my engine blows up, I could technically get it repaired for twice what my car's worth lol!

That's something I'd gladly pay for! Otherwise, haven't had to wait more than 10-15 minutes for them to arrive whenever I've had to call them for any assistance.

I think these big brands can afford to charge as much because their service speaks for itself. There would be no reason for me to pay so much, especially considering the fact that I'm a uni student who can just about survive in the current economic state...if I didn't feel I was in trusted hands.
    MetaPower

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Plus, with AA it's the person who hds the policy is insured, so you could get into any car, have it break down and them come to you. Your cover only covers your car when it's being driven by someone who is insured to drive it. The two covers can't compare!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use a site called topcashback and havent paid more than 9 quid a year for my basic RAC or AA cover for the past 5 years... 7 quid it cost me this year!
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tashalibby View Post
    Plus, with AA it's the person who hds the policy is insured, so you could get into any car, have it break down and them come to you. Your cover only covers your car when it's being driven by someone who is insured to drive it. The two covers can't compare!
    Most of the companies offering breakdown cover offer you the choice now between covering you or your car and its usually a similar price...
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i get breakdown cover in my insurance with homestart so im all good
    1.6 16v duelfuel

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    I forgot that one that tasha said - my cover covers ME. So if i'm in your car, and we break down, then i can call on the AA. Doesn't matter which car i'm in.

Also, people compare their cheap deals to (for e.g.) an AA single car policy. This doesn't apply for all people.

On our AA policy, it's a family policy which covers both my parents, my gf and myself, which when you divide the total outlay by 4 (people) it translates as just over £30 each IIRC, which isn't bad. It's less than £1 a week.

since i've been driving (2003) i've only called on them once, but that once saved me.

I was returning from seeing the gf when she lived in Kilmarnock on my way home to Lancaster (170 miles).
    I broke down not too far from Killie (perhaps 20 mile?). place is called Priestland anyway (& i'm not looking it up to see how far away it is). I broke down in the middle of nowhere with little description to offer the call centre woman.

Anyway, it was about 8:30pm & it was Sunday.

I call AA, they come out in good time.

Attempt to fix my car & follow me on for a few mile. The car APPEARED to be ok, but the bloke wasn't happy that it'd cope with the long journey/hills, so he towed the car home.

We got home around 12:30am. He wouldn't be getting back home until about 4am. He could've sacked it off as it APPEARED to be fine.

That's the only time i've had to call them out, but it was most certainly a positive result.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast