Thread: Removing door cards with manual window winders?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)

Removing door cards with manual window winders?

Have had my bump strips colour coded. Don't fancy tackling the skirts, so it's not going to tie in 100%, but looking at the door handles getting done.

Looking at the how to guide on here, it doesn't seem like it'll be too bad for the fronts, which are 'leccy.

However i've a 5-door & my rears are manual winders.

I bought myself in one of these:

Such as: http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DRAPER-52580-C...#ht_2589wt_905

But just because i have one doesn't mean i can remove it. I haven't tackled it yet.

I don't want to be yanking the card in one direction for e.g. when it's to go the other & end up snapping something.
    How do you remove the handle with this? Slide under the handle or come from opposite or A.N.Other?

I know there's some sort of clip you're supposed to remove, so how bad is it to get this clip back in place? I'm guessing removal is easier than refitting & that it's fiddly & a nightmare to get it back together??

But i'd just like clarification from anyone who's done this ........ and have a 100% working door/window AFTERWARDS.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive always found them to just pop off when persuaded. dont think their is any clips etc. just like the gear knob its on a spline.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    My experience of things needing persuasion translates as temper needing to be lost, things ultimately ending up broken
    & the amount of folk i've read of having issues with gear knob removals doesn't fill me with confidence :|

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    36 Post(s)
    Quoted
    18 Post(s)
    kev its easy,just slide that tool behind the handle and the metal clip will fly off (never to be seen again,ha)
    if it doesnt keep the tool there and turn your handle alittle until it catches it

fitting back is easy

chris.
    PERFORMANCE VAUXHALL SPARES

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kev_83 View Post
    My experience of things needing persuasion translates as temper needing to be lost, things ultimately ending up broken
    & the amount of folk i've read of having issues with gear knob removals doesn't fill me with confidence :|
    mine must of been off before. but their deffo was no clip on mine, good luck tho least you got the tool. my claw hammer sorted mine lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    Many a time i'm tempted to break the hammer out!! Trust me!!

Chris, is the clip not really required for the working of the window winder then?

May try it out at the scrappies when i'm there pilfering goods. I should've done it the other week when i went for steelies actually.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there is a little circlip holding the winder on, if u have a small hook shaped tool, just get trim tool to open a small gap between the winder handle and the door trim (the door trim flexes a bit) and that gives u acces to the circlip, it does take a fair yank to take off and it prob will ping away sumwhere