Thread: 2.0 di, no glow plugs

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

2.0 di, no glow plugs

hi guys having a problem with my glow plugs, thing is they dont seem to be working. i have tested them all out of the engine and its not the actual plugs. spoke with the previous owner would told me they never work but were never needed. its been so cold this winter that the van just keeps flattening the battery.
    Are there any other things i can check, are there any fuese or things like that?
    plz help, starting my van with jump leads every morning is starting to piss me off.lol

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does the light come on in the dash when its cold and then go out. also get the realy checked its most proberly turning the power to them and draining the battery and not turning them off again. and have you checked the condition of the battery.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It may be engine coolant temp sensor (ECT), the glow plug control module or even a fuse. You need to answer the question in the above post about the glow plug light comming on or not. If the glow plug light comes on the the fuse is not the problem, if it does it is most proberly the ECT or the module which is located near the battery. When you tested the glow plugs did they glow from the tip back? If not then they need changing. The ECT is critical during cold starts as the glow plug duration is determined by the engine coolant temp, if this sensor is not reading back the correct voltage or the wireing is defect it will need changing, the sensor is located on top of the thermostat housing cover. You could try a simple test by removing the sensor wire and shorting it accross with a 10k ohms resistor, this will bypass the sensor and force the glow plug duration, then try starting it.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah the light comes on for about 15 seconds and the battery is brand new.
    when i tested the glow plugs the tip say about 5mm would glow up.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    it could be a leak off pipe problem or the injector seals,both will cause bad starting on the di/dti range of engines

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah thought that but its only happening when its really could.other wise it starts straight up.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by dorito View Post
    yeah the light comes on for about 15 seconds and the battery is brand new.
    when i tested the glow plugs the tip say about 5mm would glow up.
    Well the glow plugs as you say are fine, a 15 second light seems quite a long duration even in this really cold weather. It looks like the ECT is reading a cold temp condition, but if it were me I would try that 10k resistor and see if it makes a difference. Other than this I would check the connections to the glow plug module, a flat aluminium device that sits next to the battery, I would suspect this becuase the glow plug duration is rather long so it may be faulty and is not supplying the current to the glow plugs. Also check the wireing to the ECT becuase if this sensor is defective you won't get proper fuel enrichment but as I said before bypass it and see if that helps with the start.