Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Pulled over for rear lights being too dim? Legalities?

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Pulled over for rear lights being too dim? Legalities?

For those who don't know, I have Depo 'quartz black' rear lights on my MK4 hatch:

Today I was followed then pulled over by a non-traffic policeman, who said he felt my rear lights were not bright enough, specifically the brake lights being too dim. He initially raised the issue of no reflectors in the lights, however after pointing out the two reflectors on the mudflaps he said he'd check with 'traffic' if that was allowed...this meets MOT regs so shouldn't be an issue, however he did think my brake light brightness wasn't high enough.

I've been followed by enough friends (including Ffoeg!) and nobody has commented on the rear lights/brake lights being dim, and I don't think they are, but I can't find anything on required brightness levels.

I got no producer etc. but they are going to get back to me with info on their stance on my lights...should prove interesting!

Does anyone know the regs. on rear light brightness? Can I get brighter stop/tail bulbs for the MK4?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I have tinted rear lights on my car (original sparyed) and 3 garages have said they need to allow 50% of the light through. How this is measured I have know idea. But to be on the safe side I have switched back to the original rear light just for the MOT and winter but like you I have had no issues!!

Found this: http://www.ukmot.com/1-3.asp#Text_top

it needs to show a steady red light and 50% of the light shines through
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    another example of the bacon brigade not having anything else better to do i think. seem to be bothered with things like this rather than pulling ppl with no insurance or idiots driving around. but then thats my opinion maybe im wrong lol.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well im sick of ppl with fog lights on they should be pulling those ppl over for being geeks and thinking its kool. not ppl like you who are using ya lights correctly what a waste of time for you dude
    astra cdti 202bhp 323 lb-ft torque 45mpg
    audi tt 180bhp and no lb-ft torque lol

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    18 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That sucks. Cant wait to hear whar they say lol. Plenty of people have dark lights round here and they normally dont get any hassle, maybe just a po po on a bad day? Lol

I did see a thread the other day regarding swapping rear fogs for brake lights. This maybe an option
    Live in Yorkshire? Click here for meet ups in our area!

Currently driving Arden Blue Zafira GSi..... Not your average people carrier!

If speed scares you, try Windows...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Cavelly View Post
    another example of the bacon brigade not having anything else better to do i think. seem to be bothered with things like this rather than pulling ppl with no insurance or idiots driving around. but then thats my opinion maybe im wrong lol.
    haha comedy reply!!!

theres me thinkin if someones rear lights are deemed inappropriate then it could cause a rear end shunt if not worse.....

they are only doing their job and pointing out a possible problem

maybe its just me who sees it like this, if so then god help the poor person who shunts into u if you ever have incorrect rear lighting and the cops are too busy catching the "real criminals"

Ive seen a few cars with these lights on and did notice they werent massively bright, but not sure if it would fall within the 50% ruling etc.

Quote Originally Posted by steady10101 View Post
    I did see a thread the other day regarding swapping rear fogs for brake lights. This maybe an option
    thats gonna achieve nothing brightness wise, ur just swapping the location of the light within the cluster, the rating is still the same

its a good little mod and one i would recommend, although the brightness aspect will remain unchanged, when braking, instead of just the one bulb intensifying, the tail will remain lit and another bulb (prev the fog) will then light up in addition - no more brighter but may be perceived as brighter due to being more noticeable

If u aint done it, do it.....cos u can

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whilst on holiday in Dorset i nearly went into some plonker in a barry corsa because i could see no break light or indicator, this was at dusk too.

i only saw the light when i was literally on his arse.

So it does matter, and as said, the police have a job to do, and they probs dont like doing it just as much as us.

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've no issues with being pulled over, though it's a tad silly to pull me over for a traffic 'issue' when the officers in question had no idea on the traffic 'issue' themselves, they queried the lack of reflector on the lights but were then a bit stuck when I said that's why I had reflectors on the mud flaps as per MOT regulations.

Cheers for the link above, I couldn't find that myself Be interesting to see, if they get back to me, what they say.

Status
    Bit busy... be back soon!
    Drives
    Astra Coupe 2.2
    Mentioned in
    133 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Follow AndyH On Twitter Add AndyH on Facebook Add AndyH on Google+
    The lights on the Evil Bus are very dark tinted as you know. It just passed an MOT with them on, they are plenty bright enough (I have followed her in my own bus in bright daylight) and the reflectors which are tinted with the rest of the light are perfectly functional. Agreed that if the emitted light is too low, then they are a danger. But I think a lot of that comes down to the spray used and the finish... a high gloss makes them look darker than they actually are, which cuts down on the amount of tint required

Actively proving that post counts mean jack sh*t since 1971

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mate you want 2 led stop and tail bulbs?

got the for my mk5 when i had the tinted rears on but they didnt work because of canbus

send me £2 through paypal for postage and you can have them

edit: i think they have 16 leds iirc
    Quote Originally Posted by fozzie1984 View Post
    but the wife thinks its better to spend money on food and silly things like that.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast