Thread: another can they do this?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    6 Post(s)

another can they do this?

went out at 6:25 this morning and noticed my van had a puncture, tried to change it without luck as the bolts had seized - even bent the nut spanner. Rang the AA to come out and they said due to severe weather in my area they wont be able to provide a service today..

I rang my gaffer and told him, and put the van in my garage to try warm it up abit. Tried again at about 11:30ish and managed to do it, took the knackered tyre to my local ats (which was shut) so rang my gaffer and he told me to bring the van back to the office and drop the tyre off at the garage round the corner which i did.

Next thing i know he's got a collegue to bring me back home, thus taking my van off me and then laid me off from work due to the fact i apparantly had ''no interest in getting the tyre changed at all''. Now surely if i didnt have interest then i would of just of left the van in the road untill the AA managed to come retrieve it, not shove the damn thing in my garage and then pull my groin eventually managing to get them undone.

But can they just lay me off like that by saying something so harsh and untrue as that? i personally feel victimised by it and am not at all happy been so close to christmas
    Rolling in a: 57 Astra 1.7 SRi CDTi with X-Pack in Black (145K Miles).
    61 Corsa 1.4 SRi With X-pack in Silver

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Can they balls if youve been there a while get in contact with a solicotor your duty stopped as soon as the van became un driveable.

Unfair dismissal

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    If you have been there a while theres a disaplinary process to go threw, well thats what we have you get 3 stikes and your out kinda thing. But no they cant just dismis you,

is it a works van?

if so they have a duty to help you get that van back on the road

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    That sounds like a boss on a bad day, Unfortunately you bore the brunt of it.

Pretty sure you can do something about it. Go to your local citizens advice, Tell them the story and see what advice they can give you.

It's not something that can be prevented, Punctures happen but there is no need to sack you for it.

At least he did it to your face. My last 2 jobs i was laid off from the first did it by text then the second put a note scribbled on the back of a receipt in my pay packet.
    Causing Madness & Destruction Since 1987!
    See what I did with my Astra on the link below!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    are you on a probation period or something, that sounds like you have a very good case for unfair dismissal otherwise.

speak to a solicitor or citzens advice etc

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Do you belong to a union mate? If so get in touch with them and they will help you sort that pratt out !!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Contact CAB (Citzens Advice Bureau) completely free services, personally would avoid Solicitors unless you like paying the fees that come with them. You get charged for even legal advice over the phone!
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Unfair yes.

Go an see him tomorrow, explain what you did and that you tried. Have your say and make sure he listens. As said above it was probably a bad day on hs behalf, so give him a chance to re-think his actions. I he is not interested take same legal advice, if that's your bag.
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Your rights are very limited within your first 2 years I believe in which time you can be let go for any reason unless youre:

Black
    Female
    Disabled
    Retarded

And this had somethin to do with the summary dismissal...

Otherwise check out the ACAS website for info on employers responsibilities with regards to dismissal, see if you have a case for claiming unfair before even considering a solicitor which you generally dont even need with acas disputes.
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    What do you mean laid you off though? Let's be specific.

I've had people tell me they've been laid off before & it's come out as

1. told to go home, come back to work x-date

2. you're sacked.

So what category do you fall in to?

I warn anyone about getting their hopes up with CAB. Them feckers nearly cost me £700 with their "advice" telling me my employers could legally refuse to pay me sick pay (i'd been there about 8 years at the time).
    Got on the phone to the union, who basically sent threatening letters & i got £700 in sick pay. Up yours CAB!!

As for graemes comment - anyone can be let go at any time. Whether it's right or wrong. Yeah sure you may win a claim for unfair dismissal, but they can still let you go. If they pay you £10k in claim cost and you cost £25k per year for e.g. then they're still saving money.

I hope you're a member of a union, but i suspect you're not.

Log everything!!! Keep copies of everything!!

Can you prove your boss said this? Or was it you & him alone in a room? If there were witnesses, can YOU call on them?

I don't know for 100% sure, but i'm thinking he's within his rights to send you home, but i'm sure he has to pay you for it.
    As for getting rid in this case, depending on your length of service, i don't think he can do it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast