Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Motorway undertaking?: Good, Bad, Illegal?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Motorway undertaking?: Good, Bad, Illegal?

Just been reading and discussing few threads and found out that loads of people think undertaking (overtaking through your right) is a good thing to do. what do you think of that, and why?

As for me, I usually tend to drive in right lane, but when I see the car approaching from the back (YES I Always monitor rear view mirror) I'm trying to let him through, and most of the time trying to do that without his need to brake/decrease speed.

most of the drivers that I approach, usually tend to let me through as well (i do not tailgate, and try not to force people out of the lane)

But sometimes there are those drivers (you know them, everyone seen these type of drivers) that are just forcing you to undertake.

So what you usually do in that kind of situation?
    Going Z20LET

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    if i have space on the left to undertake then the guy i'm undertaking should have been in it

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    good point there boyevo, but not everyone seems to know that
    Going Z20LET

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I sit in the far most left lane if relaxing as such, i use the middle lane when the far left is busy, i only use the right lane when overtakings, so i suppose i undertake alot everyday as alot of the time the middle lane tends to get to points which is quicker then the far right (due to the fact everyone sees fit to use the lane as one to stay in)

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    Undertaking is illegal - pretty sure it says so in the highway code.

Also, the OP going on about sitting out then moving over when someone is behind you, why not move over anyway if the lane is clear to do so. I also believe that the highway code says to stay left at all times where possible and safe to do so.

If I come up behind someone who is in the outside lane and I want to get past, as long as the lane on the left is clear for them to do so I would expect them to move if I am travelling faster. Amount of people recently I have flashed because they were lane hogging. Notably a Micra recently on the M11 going uphill in lane 2. No one in lane 1, and a whole queue of cars coming up in lane 3 so couldn't move out to overtake. Gave her quite a few flashes as she didn't want to seem to budge, eventually she did. Then as I drove past got a 2 finger salute from her, totally unnecessary.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    All fine in theory, if the driver being undetaken is always checking his mirrors...rarely the case.

It's illegal and it's highly dangerous too because people going back in to the left lane are less likely to be expecting/aware of someone overtaking them in it. Whereas you would be more likely to check your mirrors more often/with greater concentration going in to a right (overtaking) lane because you are expecting cars to be passing.

I think it's obvious to say the only exception to this would be in crawling speed traffic.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The right hand lane should only be used for overtaking and shouldn't be used for purely driving in. I've only ever undertook someone when they were in the right hand lane refusing to move to the middle lane. If you've got room to undertake then the person to your right shouldn't be in that lane!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by mgodden1989 View Post
    Also, the OP going on about sitting out then moving over when someone is behind you, why not move over anyway if the lane is clear to do so. I also believe that the highway code says to stay left at all times where possible and safe to do so.
    You don't have to jump there and back all the time, you can just get the full use of cruise control, get more mpg and get your tyres last longer if you just drive on a straight line, and move over only if needed.
    Going Z20LET

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    14 Post(s)
    Quoted
    17 Post(s)
    Follow MarkG On Twitter
    I can see your point, but it really does annoy me when people don't move over when they can.

I fail to see how it can affect the life of your tyres, its not like its harsh driving/corner when changing lanes on a motorway.
    Astra sold ... replaced with a Skoda ... soon to be replaced with another Vauxhall

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Kerja View Post
    You don't have to jump there and back all the time, you can just get the full use of cruise control, get more mpg and get your tyres last longer if you just drive on a straight line, and move over only if needed.
    or better yet do as highway code says, and if everyone did then youd also have full use of cruise control, drive in the one lane and only move over when needed lol

Moving out the way when you see someone coming (Also constantly keeping your eyes on your rearview mirror instead of where your going)
    Moving over to overtake when you gain on someone infront (near enough only needing to check your mirrors at that point, and 95% of the time eyes forward)

Id say the second makes more sense, is safer, and will have minimal if any difference to your mpg etc

Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast