Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

help with 1.7 gmtd egr problems

evening all!

i've done pleanty of searching and i have sort of mapped out what the egr system is in my mind but i'm a little bit lost due to a couple of reasons

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=154734

the last car i saw an egr on was a petrol one but i'd have thought the principle and parts would be of similar looks and i saw one similar to this on it
    http://is02.thegumtree.com/image/big/25483558.jpg
    as well as one like this (the brassy looking round thing on the right) -
    http://i570.photobucket.com/albums/s...fuelfilter.jpg
    does the diesel not have this?

this is my exact problem down to the letter and this is great the problem is solved etc, however, i'm not really down for cleaning it up or replacing it as it seems to be a waste of time and £5's worth of carb cleaner / petrol

so my question is how would i be able to completely remove the egr system? will this cause any short - medium term damage keeping in mind the engine is only on 130k

also there is this that seems to be part of the egr system but i'm not entirely sure

http://www.autocarspare.com/catalog/.../09128118.html

and can i remove this? i wouldn't want to just leave it plugged up or in the open air as that would (i'd imagine) be as bad as having a blocked egr valve?

i'm also aiming for the eml to be off but i have a feeling unless i take the bulb out this isn't going to happen lol

if anyone can give me 100% accurate info i'd really appreciate it

also if i have borrowed your picture and you're not pleased i'm really sorry and i will remove the link if this is your wish

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi there, both the MK4 and the MK3 X17DTL have an EGR valve. The one in the image above is the one on my engine. I did clean it but it is currently disabled just with a plug in the vacuum line.

Plugging the vac line to the EGR valve on an MK4 X17DTL may or may not cause problems as it may result in the EML indicating an EGR system fault. On the MK4 there is also a solenoid valve involved in the EGR system and vacuum tubes going to that.

The older thread you linked to was a good one, showing the broken piece of metal the fellow found in his vacuum pump. Clever fix using a similar piece of metal from his set of feeler gauges...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    hi paul i remember you on mk3oc!

that was my other question, what is the vacuum pump? is that part of the egr system? or something else? :beer:

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Hi twelfty,

I thought the name seemed familiar. The vacuum pump on the X17DTL is the unit bolted onto the end of the camshaft housing. Big vacuum hose goes back to the brake servo.

EGR valve action is vacuum operated. Smaller diameter tubes go the EGR valve (or EGR solenoid on the MK4) and I think another over to the the injector pump (at least on my older MK3). I would have to take a look at the routing.

EGR valve itself does get clogged with sooty oily crap. Solenoid valve on the MK4 system can fail (stick or whatever) like any solenoid valve. Enlarge the image on that link you provided and you can see the 2 vacuum line ports on the top of the solenoid valve.

I have seen reports of the vacuum tubing fouled with oil leaking into it from the vacuum pump...

Cheers, Paul

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yeah i've had a good look and i see what you mean, all tubing to the solenoid and valve are clear so i guess either one of the components are duff, i'm gonna look for a straight connector for the egr valve and just unplug the solenoid and see if this resolves the issue, if not i'll plug it in and hopefully that will do the trick

i think i'll have to whip off this vacuum pump and see if the bit of "feeler gauge" metal has snapped and find myself a feeler gauge to replace it lol

i will update of what happens and put up some pics so future people with the problem have easier access to what needs to be done

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    update for this, i've taken out the egr valve sprayed wd40 inside it and pumped it loads soaked it etc etc untill it moved freely and cleaned out the receiving hole which had about 5mm of sludge all round it and the eml has now gone! i checked the pump on the right of the rocker cover and it was fine little bit worn but nothing mechanically wrong, i think i'll look into cleaning the egr a bit more when i have some time asi only had about half an hour to do all the above, i think i'll leave it all intact for now though!