Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Some conclusions i have had about drivers in the snow whilst out on my walk

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Some conclusions i have had about drivers in the snow whilst out on my walk

They are crap!

seriously how do people not know what to do in snowy conditions? I have seen the people rev the nuts out of it in a basic hope they may one day get traction, others are going stupidly quickly! One person pulled over to drop a mate off on a blind corner because she wanted to take the left opposite.

The main thing is why do people even go out in it? Its pretty bad and the amount of people trying to go out even now its dark is beyond ridiculous IMO

However

I saw the funniest thing on the way to the shops. I heard a proper loud roar of an engine like a V8 and thought what is some knob head doing. Next I see a range rover giving it plenty doing a side ways semi drift but in a straight line then i noticed the massive esso petrol tanker following it, they both went past about 20mph and the range was pulling the tanker down the road I couldnt get my camera out of my pocket quick enough!

Genius bit of driving!
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    Technical Advisor
    Club Team
    Drives
    VXR Nurburgring
    Mentioned in
    115 Post(s)
    Quoted
    70 Post(s)
    Well i've been one of the supid people out in it today. I fugured they always say it's going to be worse that it is and it was hardly snowing when I left

What got me was the number of people who cut up the inside on a dual caraige way where there was only really one passable lane, one of which was a member on here. Another one was a driver wheel spinning fast just to move 1 meter where everyone else could move on clutch control, again he was impatient so I laughed when he went to go around a car and didn't know there was a curb to his right lol

The only issues I had was when I got pushed out the ruts by a on comming car and couldn't get going again. I just had to let the few cars behind me go before reversing to get traction again
    Want a professional job done on fitting your aftermarket electrical accessories? PM me for a quote
    Electrical fault finding also taken on
    Located in N/W London HA3, and willing to travel within reason

Status
    Going Topless!
    Drives
    Astra 1.8 Twintop, Lotus Carlton, Meriva VXR and Nova
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    11 Post(s)
    Yeah, I live on a slight incline. When it was sheet ice a few weeks ago, it was easy enough to just let the engine idle and creep up the hill and then drive off.

99% of the street managed this (one person struggled in his Merc, but they were the first car up the street, and they did it on the fourth attempt)

The 1% that failed are a father and son combo. Both have the same mind set. Floor it and hope for grip. Neither managed to do it. Funniest was the lad, he'll tell you how brilliant he is, but in his transit van, he got up to the sheet ice and lost traction. Then slowly rolled down the road to try again. Then failed, and again. He eventually ended up back outside his house "stuck" and shovelling away the snow that fell off his van. He didn't attempt it again for another week.

3 minutes later another transit, just drove up the street.

Funny with the Rangy tho.

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    The only plus point for me in all this is that work will be mental in the new year as the bodyshops will be stacked out.

The bad news is that my Dad is out stuck in it and it doesn't look like he will be home any time soon.

That's funny about the tanker, good to hear people are helping each other too!
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Another idiot here who went out in it. Getting into town is easy, but have to admit I was a bit worried about getting home as all routes are up hill
    One of the hills did look like a bit of a car park halfway up, but went a different route and all was ok.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yea some drivers do worry you. Hence I used the train to go to Birmingham today. I LOVE driving in the snow but I dont trust some other drivers

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ive been one of them idiots not entirely my own fault though, you would think on a snowy hill where you can see a car coming up a few 100 yards in front you would pull over so they wouldnt have stop and then get stuck on the way up as gravity will always help you down

so on a few occasions having been forced to stop as there was nowhere else to go ive had to do a few burnouts just to give me a foot or so of tarmac to get some sort of traction to get moving again but once in 2nd and foot off the accelerator she kept going easily

managed 80 without even moving at one point! i know i should hang my head in shame but it was fun

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Minxy View Post
    The only plus point for me in all this is that work will be mental in the new year as the bodyshops will be stacked out
    Yup It keeps us busy as well. So far this year I have done 6 cars ranginf from smashed wheels to full on axles changes

White is the new Black

FARMYARD TUNING

LEH IS THE FUTURE

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    funny you should say about the 4x4 pulling the tanker, we found the best thing to be a Hyundi 4x4 one of our contractors has and he pulled 44 ton wagons out of our yard.

I must admit i was impressed with it!

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    The Sticker Queen
    Mentioned in
    35 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    Mum and I have just walked a 3 mile round trip to go and meet Dad who has eventually given in, admitted defeat and abandoned the car at the bottom of the nearest hill.

Unfortunately he got half way up the hill and passed someone who told him that a local guy with a tractor was charging people £10 to tow their car up the hill. I bet he's making a fortune!!
    MINXY BUTLER-HENDERSON

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast