Thread: Mk 4 - Coolant problem...?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Mk 4 - Coolant problem...?

Hi all, I am wondering if anyone can offer some advice, I have a S reg 1.6 8v LS Auto and a few weeks ago on the motorway I broke down and had no coolant and engine over heating, cut a long story short, my neighbour who said he could fix cars looked at it and said there was no leak and I needed a new thermostat which I done and have had fitted, however, now sometimes the thermostat moves to as much as 100 but then comes back down again, usually it's just cool air coming out the fans never hot although sometimes it can be hot, the coolant goes down all the time to the point now it is empty when I check the car in the mornings.
    The head gasket blew in June this year and was changed so I don't think it could be that, my neighbour believes now there may be an air lock and to hose the radiator pipes...any suggestions to save me the expense of a garage at Xmas would be appreciated.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    well i baught my first astra 2 weeks ago, a week later my engine heat went flying up to 100...luckily i was outside my house, i looked under the car and there was a puddle, checked my coolant level and it was empty, also my heaters only blow out cold air, turns out its my waterpump, but to get to it you have to remove the timing belt/cam belt, ive been qouted £270 for a new pump plus a new cambelt kit, sounds about right as its a long job. sounds like you have the same issue, all i can say is dont drive the car until you have it checked out otherwise you will blow your head gaskit again and thats expensive, keep us posted on the issue =)
    1.6 16v SXi