Thread: different variation on ye olde EGR problem..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

different variation on ye olde EGR problem..

the car: X plate 1.4 16v, (the one with intake mani at rear and maniverter at front), hatchback

how it all began....
    about 6 months ago my cat collapsed in on itself and started blowing back through the airbox, replaced the maniverter and cleaned out inlets and ports

however, lots of little bits of metal from the cat were blown into my engine, which blocked up my EGR valve preventing it from opening.

I didnt know that at the time, and paid £500 for a garage to diagnose, replace EGR, clear fault codes and clean the bits of metal away. it ran absolutely perfect for about a week..

BUT, there are still bits of metal floating around, and i have been taking the EGR off every week or so for the past 2-3 months and digging the metal out using a metal spike. Its now got to the point where the EGR is all clogged again and can't be cleaned.

currently the EML is on because the EGR is clogged and cannot open, and the car judders and lurches between 1500 and 2000rpm, and the idle is not great either

SO, do i buy another EGR and probably another again in a few months and keep cleaning them?
    OR, will blanking it off be a better solution?
    OR will i have to blank it off AND buy another EGR to remove EML?

thanks in advance, Adam

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    personally id blank it off.
    is the EGR not under manufacturer warranty?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by bucky View Post
    personally id blank it off.
    is the EGR not under manufacturer warranty?
    thanks but i doubt the warranty covers getting filled up with bits of catalytic converter!

Would blanking it off not just mean that its the same as it being wedged closed as it is now, and with the same faults?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    anyone know?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    yes as u correctly state, if blanked off, it will need a working EGR to keep the EML off

you could get a one from a scrappy but u run the risk of it being shite!

all u want is a one that good but not shite - ie it could be knackered but not knackered enough to trigger the EML!

no way u can clean out ur current EGR or force the valve to open by attaching a 12v source? then blank it off and take it from there

failing that, how about another engine?? or removing yours and stripping it to remove all the filings? straight forward if ur not a total numpty lol

in the meantime, blank it off... this will cure the lurching and idle aspect but until the EGR thats connected is working or not totally clogged up, the EML *may* remain on

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks for the help, bought a new egr and blanking plate for £30, try it when it arrives and fingers crossed!