Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Noob with suspension question - help very much appreciated

Hi guys

This is my first post on this forum as I just bought a MK4 Astra 2.0 Turbo GSi from a friend of mine. For some reason I cant seem to post in the ACTIVE section yet so havent been able to say hi properly. Ill get on that soon but for now was hoping someone could help me out with a little advice.....

The front drivers side spring needs replacing. Ive got some vauxhall prices and I'm looking at £135 for the pair. Since all the suspension on the car is still original I thought it may be worth looking at some after market suspension so I can save a few quid and get all new stuff on the car.

This car was bought to be my daily run around so Im not wanting lower it too much or make it a harsh ride. I literally just want to swap out the suspension for something similar or better then whats on their already but dont want to pay the £550 that vauxhall want for the full set up.

Ive seen Jamex coilovers on ebay for £212 and a few others but just wanted to hear what your thoughts were on these?

Can anyone recommend a cheap aftermarket replacement set up that wont harshen the ride too much (or not at all)?

Thanks very much for the help guys.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whilst looking around I also found these Bilstein front and rear shocks for less then the OEM stuff. Would these be a better option then the coilovers? If so any suggested springs? Thanks guys...

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Astra-Mk4...item43a3c4184e

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Pair-Astra-Mk4...item3f05a07b49

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Bilstein shocks + Eibach springs is said to give the best quality vs handling match for aftermarket without spending gazillions of pounds. Jamex et-al aren't a bad brand, but cheap can = harsh and often doesn't give a fixed amount of lowering once they bed in.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks very much for the advice mate.

So are the Bilstein's I linked to the ones to go for as Ive seen more then one type of Mk4 Bilstein on ebay with varying prices.

As long as the handling and ride comfort is as good as or better then standard Ill be happy. Looking more to maintain comfort then actually improve handling.

Thanks again.

Status
    Yorkshire RO
    Mentioned in
    7 Post(s)
    Quoted
    15 Post(s)
    if your just after springs then eibach doing a 30/30 kit which would lower your car 10mm front and 15mm rear and they are only around £130

or they also do a 50/30 kit which would drop the front by 30 mm over your standard set up.

take a look at www.lmfvauxhall.co.uk they are on there.

AOC top 15 car at PVS 2009 & 2010
    313.7bhp/343Ibft

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sounds like the best way to keep the car close to stock comfort is going to be the Bilstein shocks and Eibach springs. Can anyone tell me what shocks I need to go for? Ive seen B4, B6 and B8. Like I said Im not trying to lower the car or improve handling massively over stock. Just want to keep the prices down and not pay Vauxhall prices for standard parts.

Thanks guys.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You'd need B4 shock absorbers all round.

I have 30/30 Eibach springs on B4 Shocks and the ride is fine.
    Well, I have only done the rears so far. The fronts are currently Eibach springs on standard 120k shocks

I will change the fronts when I get round to it/the missus lets me

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks a lot mate. Does the front feel ok with just the springs changed? Do you think you will see much improvement when you get round to doing the shocks too? Cheers dude!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bundus View Post
    Thanks a lot mate. Does the front feel ok with just the springs changed? Do you think you will see much improvement when you get round to doing the shocks too? Cheers dude!
    The front feels ok. Nothing special.
    Although i'm not after "ok". I want a firmer, more responsive ride - albeit with comfort maintained. That's why I bought 30/30 Eibach springs and B4 Shocks.

There will definitely be a big improvement when I get round to fitting the front B4's because any shock that has done 120k miles is going to be very tired.