Thread: Horrendous Vibration - Any ideas?? PLEASE HELP!!!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Horrendous Vibration - Any ideas?? PLEASE HELP!!!

Hi - your gonna have to excuse me as I have no mechanical know-how!

I have a T-Reg Astra Mk 4 1.4 AUTOMATIC. A new problem has arisen over the weekend and I really dont know what to make of it, so I thought I would ask the experts!

Whenever the car goes over 40mph there is a really bad vibration - it is noticeable throughout the car and the gas pedal etc, and makes a vibration-type shuddering noise. It does not affect performance of the car at all, and the car will still easily reach 70-80mph.

This vibration happens whether the automatic gearbox is engaged in 4th or 5th gear. The vibration is at its worse at about 60mph (thats when wing mirrors etc start to physically shake!), then as the car goes faster towards 70-80mph it does ease but not by much.

Unfortunately the dashboard doesn't have a rev counter so I cant specify the revs at which this happens. It certainly doesnt happen in lower speeds, even if they are at higher revs.

I use dual carriageways and motorways daily and am more than a little worried about this.

Does anyone have any ideas whether its engine / suspension or anything at all? Im totally clueless and really need some good sound and, considering my ignorance on all things cars, some very simple and easy for a layman to understand advice please!

I realise you must get hundreds of posts like this all the time, but any advice any of you can give me will really be very much appreciated.

Thanks to all of you in advance, I look forward to hearing from you soon.

Cheers

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Are all your wheels balanced and have you checked your wheel bearings?

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    More than likely find its going to be your wheel balance.

Check around your wheels to see if there is evidence of a wheel weight that has fallen off.

Have you hit any kerbs or potholes recently?

Id be surprised if it isn't wheel balance. Take the car to a tyre center and ask to have the wheels rebalanced, it could be any wheel at all, so safest to get the set done. Isn't too expensive, but i wouldn't know an exact price. Id be surprised if it came to more than £25. Get it done asap because your putting tremendous wear on the suspension, bearings, steering, tyres, brakes and well.... the whole car.
    Astra Sold! Now its back! Sold Again! Who knows whats going on!

Currently Running MK1 1.8 MX5 with LSD awaiting boost, and a Red UK DC2

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Andyman2008 View Post
    Are all your wheels balanced and have you checked your wheel bearings?
    Ahhh... Beaten to it!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ha yours is a lot more detailed than mine though. I got all 4 of my wheels balanced for £20

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks guys, your certainly starting to put my mind at ease a bit, I thought the whole engine was about to blow up!

I'll get wheels re-balanced in the morning, and if its not that then I'll ask them to check wheel bearings. I'll let you know how I get on and if I need any more help, knowing me I probably will!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Well that wasnt the most successful morning! Went to get wheels re-balanced, and needed a new front tyre so got that too, but the juddering is still there! I asked the tyre guy what else it might be if balancing didnt work, whether it might be bearings and he said no, I went to a garage to book it in for tomorrow, asked what it might me and he said drive shaft or suspension bush (tho he didnt look at it). So guys what do YOU think? Wheel bearings, drive shaft or suspension bush? I guess my biggest question is does anyone have any ideas how much this is likely to cost me? Its the wrong time of year for hefty car repair expenses!!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    could be the bearings? also do you notice the vibration under breaking? if you do it could be the brake pads/discs may need replaceing.

If you can jack your car up give the wheel a shake up and down legt and right, if its wobbles it could be the bearings

my car tuesday night started vibrating when I was over 40mph, I had both front tyres replaced the morning and didn't notice it, but turns out the guys who did my wheels had not cleaned the alloys when they balanced them and driving along the road some came off. When back to complain and was give £10 refund
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Wouldn't be a suspension bush. Gormenghast sounds like he may be on the right track. Wouldn't imagine it to be a driveshaft, but it is possible. I'd say brakes or bearings, more than likely brakes. Jack each wheel up, and turn the wheel. If the force needed to turn the wheel isn't smooth, as in you keep hitting resistance at the same point, I'd imagine brakes