Thread: Water leaking into the footwell from the front door speakers ..

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Water leaking into the footwell from the front door speakers ..

I saw water on the inside plastic trims, The one's behind the door seal rubbers .. I thought that is strange, I then looked up behind the door card with the plastic speaker grills, Hmm looks like it's coming from behind there..

So promptly removed the door card & low & behold, It was coming from behind the door speaker, Whipped that out & the evidence was plain to see , The back of the speaker was wet & the foam type seal on the outer edge was was soaked..

So dried it out & made a shower cap out of polythene for the rear of the speakers & resealed the speaker to the door with some silicone .. Hopefully that has cured it ...

I repeated the procedure on the drivers front door , although that one was dry around the seal ....

Anyone else had this issue ..??

Chers

Dean

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I am having the same i think. I opened my car this morning and on the drivers side by the door rubber was a pool of water all along the door and it was iced uptoo lol. Is it fair to assume that the speaker could be the issue?
    Our bombs are smarter than the average high school student. At least they can find Kuwait.
    YOU CAN'T FLY WITHOUT SUPPLY

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by hutster View Post
    I am having the same i think. I opened my car this morning and on the drivers side by the door rubber was a pool of water all along the door and it was iced uptoo lol. Is it fair to assume that the speaker could be the issue?
    I would say you do have the same issue, that was the exact location of my H20

Simple enough to rectify though as long as you have somewhere dry to carry it out ..... Shame the speakers are not shrouded on the rear from the factory & the seals on the back of them are so Sh!te ....

Dean

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi All,

sorry to open this thread up again especially as it's my first post but I too have noticed Water collecting in, I think, the same place as you.

I haven't had the nerve to take the Door Card off.

Where is the Water coming in do you think? It may be collecting by/on the speaker but it has to be getting in somewhere and I'd like to stop it at the source.

Any suggestions?

James.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Anyone?

During this cold snap I have noticed the interior feels slightly damp and have even Ice on the inside of the windscreen.

I do need to find where the 'dampness' is getting in.

JC

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    9 Post(s)
    It probably runs down the glass and past the seals. It's quite coomon and meant to drain back outside.

But if a lot comes in due to wear, icing, dirt etc, it can run down the speaker which deflects it into the car

Take the door card off and make a shower cap for the top of the speaker out of polythene.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi, new to the forum but having the same issue but unsure as to how to remove the trim on the back of the door mirror? I cant remove the door card with it on. Also, what is/how do you make a 'shower cap' for the speaker?

Regards

Hi, I managed to remove the door trim etc.

On inspection there was nothing wrong with the membrane and the speaker has what looks like a 'deflector' at the top, presumably for the water. However, the insulation (call it what you will) around the speaker was wet so I removed it and replaced it with silicon, job done!

Sadly not! Despite being 'dry' for days, even after the downpours, it has happened again. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
    Last edited by tonymc; 06-11-2013 at 21:54.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by tonymc View Post
    Hi, new to the forum but having the same issue but unsure as to how to remove the trim on the back of the door mirror? I cant remove the door card with it on. Also, what is/how do you make a 'shower cap' for the speaker?

Regards

Hi, I managed to remove the door trim etc.
    On inspection there was nothing wrong with the membrane and the speaker has what looks like a 'deflector' at the top, presumably for the water. However, the insulation (call it what you will) around the speaker was wet so I removed it and replaced it with silicon, job done!

Sadly not! Despite being 'dry' for days, even after the downpours, it has happened again. Does anyone have any suggestions, please?
    I had the same problem - I solved the problem with extending the wires from the speakers, I lace strengthened along existing wires in the door. I took a sponge from the speaker with scalpel (only on the edge), and smeared the part with sanitary silicone, as well as all the holes where the screws go. Knock on wood water no longer leaks.