Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: camber and droplinks ugraded is it worth it?

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

camber and droplinks ugraded is it worth it?

right looking to upgraded my suspension on my 888 coupe and found theses caner adjusters and roplinks is it worth doing? and has any one done it cheers tom

http://rallynuts.com/motorsport/Chassis_2404/

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Status
    2170:01:06
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    You can'y "upgrade" your camber - it's either right or it's not. The bolts are only of use if you cannot get your camber correct using the OE bolts/setup. If you can't, then you can use the bolts. Fitting them for the fun of it is daft, as you are fitting a smaller dia bolt than standard, thereby weakening the setup.

As for the drop links - it's like alot fo whiteline stuff - good idea, poor design. I made my own

Status
    Trader
    Mentioned in
    12 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Add 888dan on Facebook
    I make and sell upgraded droplinks , as Ffoeg said the witheline ones are a good idea but poor design . You dont get the full dust boot protection and as i remember they are just spaced out with washers ,

mine include full dust boot protection , the main shaft diameter is bigger than the whiteline one and the spacers are a custom turned cnc item from our workshop so are right for each application

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Mk-4-5-Astra-G...#ht_500wt_1156

£60 delivered to your door if your interested then just give me a shout mate

Status
    AOC Lite Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    cheers just wondering wat do u gain from them?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    5 Post(s)
    Something you have to fit if lowering below a certain drop
    ARDEN BLUE GSI

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    /\/\ not strictly true, and dependant on what set up your running.

I'm running customised standard shocks, and short springs, so the distance between the ARB eye and the bracket on the shock is actually longer than with an OE setup - I've got my drop links lengthened accordingly.

The rose jointed ones are longer lasting, and when a bit wears you can just replace that worn bit, rather than the whole lot. Also they are far more rigid than the OE plastic, so should be quicker acting (although you'd never notice it).

But the best bit about adjustable length ones is that you can set the ARB at the correct position, and as you're not fixed to them both being the same length you can get rid of any preloading of the ARB (which you might be able to notice when cornering). However sorting out the preloading is a bit of a bugger when it comes to adjusting them

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i will recommend slimey_eyes droplinks excellent quality i have a set also if your lowering you car quite a bit camber bolts are a must i fitted some yesterday and what a difference took out alot of understeer and gave alot more grip

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ffoeg do you have any info on where abouts exactly the roll bar should sit? and what effect does preloading have on your handling. never really found too much info on this but sounds like you know quite a bit. share the wealth

Status
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The roll bar should sit approximately where it sat originally. Obviously when you lower on standard shocks, the bracket on the shock moves upwards, so using OE droplinks will pull the roll bar upwards. Furthermore when using no OE Shock the bracketry might non be in the same place as OE ones. We're only talking a few mil, in most instances but in others in can be a fair bit more.

Not all ARB's are perfectly formed, so one side might sit higher than the other when fitted to the car. Suppose there is 10mm diffence. When you fit fixed length drop links the ARB will have to be twisted 10mm to make the drop links fit - that is a preload, and will have the effect of trying to "twist" the car. Having adjustable links means you can take this into account and have one set at 300mm and the other ar 290mm, so the ARB has no preload on it

Most folk won't bother with the above and will fit Dans droplinks as supplied, but unless you adjust them for the particular car , then what is the point of having adjustable ones

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast