Thread: 98 astra ls.8v

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

98 astra ls.8v

hi all,ive joined today to ask advice form you astra experts.i currently drive a focus zetec,98 model,1.6,but ive had more than my fair share of probs with it.ive been offered a astra 1.6 8v,ls,on a s reg,i was wondering how it would compare nxt to my focus,which is comfy,quick ish,everythings electric,but its so unreliable,ive only just passed my test,so am looking for reliabilty etc.are the 8v models a decent enough car.anything i should be wary off,its had a new engine in it.thanks in advance.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I usd to own a 1.6 Focus & now own an 8v Astra... so can answer this for you

The Focus felt very nippy, handled well, but like yours was unreliable.

The Astra feels a lot better built, has (so far) been very reliable, BUT its quite a bit slower & doesnt handle as well when standard (mines not bad lowered BUT the rides quite hard)

Astras as a car are pretty reliable & well built - but because of this feel quite heavey & tend 2 understear a LOT!

The engines in the Astras again are pretty reliable, ecotec engines can & do suffer from a lot of sensor faults... the 8v engines are pretty bulletproof if looked after properly - mayo in the oil is quite common & shouldnt be seen as a problem, just keep an eye on the water & oil levels (headgaskets seem quite a popular problem with the 8v - im guessing that would be the reason the 1 u have been offered has had a new engine?!)

Focus's hold their value better than the Astras

Overall, personally i prefer my Astra

Hope this helps

(just out of curiosity, whats wrong with the Focus?)
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

astra 1.6

hi mate,thanks for that,the focus i have has needed an engine,it was burning oil,gearbox went,electrics all went funny,needed to replace the vss speed sensor,and clocks,its all fine now,but ive been offered this astra and thought it might be better,was hoping itd be around the same,performance wise,but more reliable.as cheap to run,and nice inside.doesnt have electric mirrors though,which i may miss,dont know if it has heated front and rear screens,cant find a spec list of this model on the internet

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Mines a Club model which gets front electric windows (no rear) power steering, air con (dunno if this is an extra?) NO ABS, no sunroof, only heated rear screen, manual seat adjustment, no traction control etc etc.... pretty basic really but its all i need & means theres less to break!!! lol...

My Focus was a Ghia model so top spec & had EVERYTHING! Was awsome to have all the tricks & toys - but id rather have a reliable car!!!

Like i say performance wise, the Astra is quite noticably slower! Also MPG wise its a bit worse (out of £20 i used to get 120miles in the Focus - i get 100/110 in the Astra)... BUT if its going to save u money in repairs then its worth it?!

If possible mate id look for a 1.6 16v OR a 1.4 16v (rare to find! But are faster engines than the 1.6 8v!) - but again i cant really diss the 8v as mine has been spot on so far! (touch wood)
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Whats the milage of the Astra?

Has it got service history/recipts?

If decent milage its worth it imo...
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Hi Mate,

I have the Astra 1.6 8v also. My best friend has the 1.6 16v ghia focus.

Mine does understeer a hell of a lot more than the focus and i just cannot keep with it in the turns but on straights i cant say there is much difference, we are both good drivers (we like to think) and sometimes his car is faster sometimes mine is.

I also have a friend who has the 1.4 16v astra and it is only a smidgen slower than mine (his car is 6 years younger than mine).

If reliabilty is what you want get the astra, ive not had one fault with mine and ive had it over a year and done 10,000 miles in it. Whereas my friends focus has had a couple (breather pipe, electric windows and more faults).

If it was me id still choose the astra.

Hope this helps,

Thanks,

Dave.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I can't compare to the focus but we've had a 1.6 8v Club for just over a year now (and 12,000 miles) and it's been as reliable as the day is long - touch wood, not a bit of trouble, everything just works.

People say the 8v is slow, and obviously it's not the fastest engine, but it does alright - it's enough to pull a fully laden astra along at a reasonable clip without any bother and that's really all you need right? More importantly it's a nice dependable old design which just doesn't go wrong much at all, and is generally cheaper to fix when it does, too.

Btw, our 53 Club does have ABS unlike the poster's above so it's always worth checking these things out on the car itself, don't assume anything just from whatever you read about the spec as these do vary quite a bit. Be aware that there's at least two 1.6 8v engines too - they're quite similar but the newer one (the z16se) was slightly faster.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    ^ true... & im guessing with it being an S reg, urs would be the slower of the 2...
    1.4 MK5 BEAST!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    I've got a 1.6 8v LS W reg astra. 132,000 miles on the clock and doesn't miss a beat. It's slow to accelerate but once it's up to speed it's fine.