Thread: Coupe questions

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Coupe questions

Hey all been a while since I've been on here, used to have a 1.4 astra g, brilliant car miss it alot wanted more power and room so got a Vectra C 1.8 VVTi 140bhp which is a great runner and good on mpg too for a petrol. Been thinking about getting a new car but really want a Coupe so... decided to use my vectra to use during the week for work which is 40miles a day and have the coupe for weekends. My questions are how reliable are the 2.2 engines as I know the vectra's fuel pumps seem to be a problem on them?

Can you get them in a hard top convertible as opposed to the soft top? Is the standard 1.8 gutless and how are the turbos for reliability and any common faults? Lastly have two cars on one insurance do some companies offer discount for that?

many thanks
    Kind Regards,

Dean

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    the 2.2 is made as a tourqey cruiser the engine is chain drive and really responsive.
    Really good for tuning and feels rather smooth compared to the 1.8. The turbo is the way forward though holly hell what a great car. I obviously have the turbo but mine is fitted with an leh
    So Far ZLEH, M32, FMIC, Top Hat, CDTi box, Thermobolic intake gasket, De cat, alloy rad, GSi bumper, Coilovers not long off a map now lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Dean as far as i know the 2.2 suffer from the ocasional timing chain failure,
    but i have yet to see it,
    The 1.8 (usually z18xe engines) are far from gutless although 125bhp standard feel more like 180 bhp and are realy quick in my veiw a great engine
    The turbo versions have yet to prove themselves to me, but seem always to have turbo faults,
    Finaly the mk4 cabriolet only comes with a soft top,
    but a mk5 Twintop is available with a hard reclining roof, but many pennies

bri

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    after owning numerous vauxhalls i can honestly say the coupe turbo is the best one i have owned .
    altho not the most comfy or the most stable when cornering at speed but i am sure a whiteline rarb will sort that out .

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    brians right the 1.8 isnt gutless just rather unrefined but very pokey and kept me happy for two years. the 2.2 is a rather nice car due to it being more responsive and smooth. (perfect motorway cruiser but enough tourqe to have fun in b roads).

With all coupes the handling is a bit sloppy maybe its just me but springs are a defo upgrade as to me the chassis needs a bit off tightening.

Brian is correct with the turbo option aswell the zlet feel rather, i can only describe as lazy. thats why i put the vxr engine in. seems great but the vxr turbo can be bolted to the let. But the coupe is a nice car to have and the mk5 is also rather lovley and feels awesome.

The mk5 also has a 1.9 cdti and that engine is awesome and you would forget the fact its a diesel.
    So Far ZLEH, M32, FMIC, Top Hat, CDTi box, Thermobolic intake gasket, De cat, alloy rad, GSi bumper, Coilovers not long off a map now lol

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Quote By Dani ;; The mk5 also has a 1.9 cdti and that engine is awesome and you would forget the fact its a diesel.

I second that,
    In fact the ideal hard top cabby in my veiw is the mk5 twintop 1.9cdti (150 bhp) 16v

Bri

ps forget about some issues with the clutch, one only hears about bad points nowadays, it doesn't mean they are all going to fail

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Thanks for the replies, my vectra has 140bhp and needs to be reved hard to feel the power but I suppose its probably alot heavier than a coupe and surely they must corner better, had the vectra lowered damn sight better now don't feel like we're going to capsize. Going to stay away from diesels especially the 1.9cdti 150 as nothing but flywheel and clutch problems had two both suffered. Ideally want the mk4, looks like its either the 2.2 or the turbo then to be honest. In regards to a timing chain does that need to be replaced like the timing belt at 60k?
    Kind Regards,

Dean

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Sorry that sort of sounds as I knocked the 1.9's love the torque but can't handle the £1000 bill if it does happen, I know it doesnt happen to all but just had my share of bad luck with them.
    Kind Regards,

Dean

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    timing chain only needs changing if it rattles but if you get a high milage one i would just get it changed anyway.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    141 Post(s)
    Quoted
    126 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rebellion8878 View Post
    Sorry that sort of sounds as I knocked the 1.9's love the torque but can't handle the £1000 bill if it does happen, I know it doesnt happen to all but just had my share of bad luck with them.
    Fair comment,
    Maybe in the future because of the Dual mass flywheel/clutch issue,
    the price of this engined car, will drop in value, and become more affordable,
    if that was the case i would take a chance,
    fix it myself and save a few bob

bri

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast