Thread: Replaced EGR twice - still playing up. Time to blank? MK4 Twinport

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Unhappy Replaced EGR twice - still playing up. Time to blank? MK4 Twinport

My Z16XEP Astra Twinport SXI is kangarooing like crazy at cruise speeds in all gears. Idle and acceleration is fine. Been to Vauxhall for Tech2 but no codes, spent £80 on a check up and bam - they say its the EGR. Unplug it and the car drives like a dream. Trouble is unplugged the car stalls on startup.

Now Ive purchased 2 used EGRs from feebay and a new gasket and the car still has the same issue. I really cant believe that 3 EGRs are faulty (including mine). I had a brand new ECU last year so dont want to think its that playing up . Also had a new coil pack, full service and new plugs. Could be a bad connection........I dont know, Vauxhall doesnt know.

So its time to blank - is this ok long term? Do I understand correctly that I could make a aluminium plate to put between the block and the EGR and leave it plugged up and this should be enough?

I see alot of people talking about blanking off the older MK4s or even reprogramming the ECU but mine is the late MK4 twinport so alittle different in design. I have a 4 bolt EGR that goes on the right side of the block, just below the ECU.

Thanks for any advice offered.
    daBLUONE >
    ASTRA SXI > TWINPORT > ULTRA BLUE > 3 DOOR

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I blanked it in my Vectra X18XE1 and it ran alot better; just made a plate from aluminum

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by daBLUONE View Post
    I had a brand new ECU last year
    Hi, Can i ask what symptoms you had to make you get a new ECU? I'm having problems with my twinport and think it maybe ECU related...
    Thanks

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by TSM View Post
    Hi, Can i ask what symptoms you had to make you get a new ECU? I'm having problems with my twinport and think it maybe ECU related...
    Thanks
    Check here fella

http://www.astraownersclub.com/vb/sh...d.php?t=199493
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Blanked my EGR today and car seems fine...........still want to know whats causing the issue though.
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    does blanking the egr affect anything dont understand much about runnin cars etc, what does the egr do and if blanking must cause some difference in the running

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by alan hanson View Post
    does blanking the egr affect anything dont understand much about runnin cars etc, what does the egr do and if blanking must cause some difference in the running
    Put super simply the EGR opens under certain conditions (when at cruise speeds when engine is warm enough) to let exhaust go back into the engine so it gets another burn. This means less crap gets chucked out your exhaust. Its come from an EU rule for lowering emissions.

With it blanked off the car will be putting out more emissions but I dont think it will be enough to fail an MOT - it still has to be connected to the wiring loom though so you dont an emission warning light when the car thinks its not working. Best theory is the EGR is getting a bad signal so not operating properley - could be bad wiring, the ECU could be playing up or another sensor is reading info incorrectly???

Im no expert, just done some research (with alot of help). My car is driving like it should with it blanked off with no warning lights on dash. Still not totally happy with the work around and still trying to work out the cause.
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    EGR issue and recent power lose all lead to my CAT failing. Replaced CAT, removed EGR blanking plate and car is sorted, all torque is back is and she's like a new car!
    daBLUONE >

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    EGR ( exhaust gas recirculator) just chucks the unburtn exhausts gases back in to the chamber to be burnt again also when u bought the EGR valves of ebay did u get a genuine delphi unit i had same problem kept on cleaning it n cleaning it problem would go away only to reappear after a few 100 miles so bought a fleebay egr did nothing got a brand new un used delphi unit not a problem since

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Yes it was a genuine GM part, replacing part made no difference. Replacing CAT which had broken honey comb and was melted and returning original EGR has sorted all issues and the car is like new performance wise.

The educated guess is the melted CAT was stopping the car from venting/breathing correctly so loss of power - also when the EGR opened to take in exhaust it was taking in more than normal levels because it wasnt clearing through the CAT so the mix was wrong and the car started to choke/misfire.
    daBLUONE >