AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Follow Glacious On Twitter Add Glacious on Facebook

Cleaning Cream Leather

Hey All

Well basically when I brought my coupe the interior was well perfect no damage and it looked almost white and was lovely, but now after almost hmm I would say a year its gone a horrible dark creamy colour almost as if a smoker has been living in my car lol this is how it used to look:

Trust me when I say it looks nothing like that now Sadly, but I was wondering what is the best product/item I can use to return it to its former glory.

Some **** nut also got in my passenger seat and has proper ripped and scratched all down the inside of the seat which I am hoping to get repaired soon.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    there are all sorts of leather cleaners available, gliptone is a popular detailers choice. I've used a variety of different treatments of varying expense (usually equine products I've used for decades when restoring old and abused horse tack, including expensive saddles) I have to say I'm pretty damn proud of my leather restoration skills, as not only have I revived a saddle that it's owner was going to consign it to the bin (it was about 25 years old and completely dried out etc) but once I'd restored it the owner sold it for £350 I also bought a second hand saddle myself for £400, used it (and kept it properly cleaned and nourished) for a year, and sold it again for £400, no depreciation.

This rover cabriolet had been used as a garage runabout for a year and had greasy mechanics constantly getting in & driving it around in their filthy overalls the leather was almost black when I started, but it didn't take long to get it like this:

which was an improvement

A good gentle and cheap *cleaner* (not conditioner) for leather, which will remove even tough stains like biro and grease is baby wipes! That's what I used on the Rover to get rid of all the motor oil ground into the leather grain.

For best results follow up with a non greasy leather conditioner to nourish the leather and prevent it drying out and cracking - I've used a few different products, but a horsey one - "gold label hide food" (a thick creamy substance of gel-like or mayonnaise like consistency) is particularly good and smells lovely too It's not over expensive either.

On VERY dried and cracked leather you can lightly brush on some flexalan and wipe off with a soft cloth, it is a very light clear leather oil, but nontheless it is always best with ANY leather treatment to test it on an inconspicuous area first like at the rear base of the seat.

These are just personal preference - the car detailers who haven't dealt with as much leather as I have (oo er lol ) will have found their own favourites from other sources and will be able to comment on what they've found works for them, whereas I had tended to stick with what I know worked from my field of expertise

Still - baby wipes get my vote every time for the actual cleaning stage

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the in depth post there Scrap as you have suggested I have brought some Gliptone cleaner and Gliptone conditioner along with some baby wipes lol

Will be giving this ago and post some before and after shots

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I always used LTT Leather Care products to keep it looking good. You've already commented on what it was like you bought the car from me, so it obviously works well. I've read good things about Gliptone on DW, but this would be another option if it doesn't do the job.

Also remember that vehicle leather isn't the same as clothing leathers, it's a coated (essentally painted and lacquered) so requires different maintenance techniques.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    25 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ohhh Hey there :P Hows it going with you and your Skoda mate??

I giot my order today finally of the gliptone so obvious didnt have chance to giuve it ago at the weekend so will be around after xmas now so will post up then on the results and if its anything close to how you had the leather when I picked the car up shrike then I will be more than happy

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I use stuff meant for leather sofas my mate gave me (he works at dfs) works brilliantly, supples up the Gsi's leather bolsters really well.
    Arden Blue Astra GSi Turbo owner
    gez1888@hotmail.com

Status
    AOC Gold Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    A bag of 80p Asda's baby wipes to clean it, then some Gliptone conditioner to condition it. did this in my old VXR, do it in the Vectra, and even do it on my leather sofa.
    Gaz

No longer owns an Astra

Bye bye VXR Castle Combe Edition - because it's done more laps of Castle Combe than most Bergs have of the Ring

Razzzle
    www.drleather.com

Darryl is a wealth of knowlage and is a great guy full of tips.

have only chatted to him online via detailingworld but have had a sample pack of his wipes and the are VERY VERY good

Daz.

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    My friend ( who is a pro detailer aswell ) has used dr leather and mentioned the wipes were seriously good. I tend to use planet polish twins as they are priced very competetively and are pH balanced to the leather due to them being manufacturered by LTT whom are one of the leadesr in the leather cleaning /care market. Conditioners arent a good idea on automotive leather tbh as the leather is a pigmented /painted leather so chances are that the conditioner weakens the leathers finish rather than helps it.