Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Laptop/notebook/netbook question...

Status
    Yer...I'm nuts!!
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    Follow untouchable On Twitter

Laptop/notebook/netbook question...

OK, Ashlies laptop has finally died a horrible death and she really needs another one, so being the complete plank when it comes to stuff like that, can someone tell me IN SIMPLE TERMS what the difference is between those in the title?

She needs it for mainly internet useage, but to be able to play discs as well...either music or dvd ones.

Im on a pretty tight budget (aren't we all?) but she does really need one.

Status
    Club Chairman
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Note books are very small laptops, and don't have a built in cd drive. Laptop and note books are the same and will have a drive.

You then buy a size to which you feel is portable enough for it's intended use.

Hth
    Been apart of the inner circle since 2001
    Click Me to Join Astra Owners Club Full or Lite Members

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Laptop and notebook are the same.

Netbook is a small laptop that lacks an optical drive and are usually much cheaper with better battery life.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To put it simple terms:

Laptop and notebook are one in the same, they are basically the same thing, but the manufacturers like to name them differently to screw everyone up. These machines have a CD drive, a larger screen than the netbooks (Described below) and as typically alot more powerful (And therefore more power hungry)

Netbooks and a smaller cut down version of a laptop and typically dont have a screen larger than 12.1" and DO NOT HAVE A CD/DVD/Blu-ray DRIVE ALTHOUGH you can buy an external dvd drive (not usually more than 40 at the high end). These are also alot lower powered than the aforementioned by utilizing a smaller, slower and more energy efficient processor, lower RAM and a lower hard drive (ASUS EEEPC use a small solid state drive (basically a 4GB/8GB/16GB SD card) as the hard drive where as (IIRC) MSI wind uses a spindle type hard drive and there for have a larger capacity (Although still smaller than the aforementioned laptops)).

NOTE: Do not take what Mat stated, use mine and bubba's advice

HTH

Lewis

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Near Portsmouth....... Drives a Signum 1.9 CDTi
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Netbooks also have slower processors, less ram and smaller hard drives I think.
    The truth is always the truth even if you haven't realised it yet...

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Avoid netbooks if your looking for performance. They are decent for word processing, internet surfing and email. Basically, basic tasks.

Notebooks are laptops. They have higher specs than a netbook, unless your willing to pay the earth for a netbook.

Check here for laptop buying advice:
    http://typemismatch.tumblr.com/post/...p-buying-guide

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post

It really depends on the model, some have dual core processors but they will be low voltage and run slower but ram and hard drive is model dependant and can be the same as a normal full size laptop.

If going for a netbook get a good size, something like 11.6 is a very nice size.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by lee gsi View Post

Not necessarily as it depends on what you are comparing it to.

Netbooks are simply 1/2 size Notebooks (laptops) and a good example of one would be the Samsung NC10 or its replacement

Useful for taking on holiday with you for free wifi internet connection and doing this and that such as surfin, msn, facebook,email etc etc, useless for games or any serious computing work

hth

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Bubba View Post
    It really depends on the model, some have dual core processors but they will be low voltage and run slower but ram and hard drive is model dependant and can be the same as a normal full size laptop.

If going for a netbook get a good size, something like 11.6 is a very nice size.
    the hard drives are usually better than a laptop down to the fact that they are SSD, which means Solid State Drives. There's no moving parts in these unlike a HDD (Hard Disk Drive), meaning they last longer, there's not as much heat generated and are a lot, lot more power efficient. Which in turn gives you better battery life.

You can get SSD's in laptops, but they are more commonly found in Netbooks.

Asus, or Asustek is a really good netbook producer to consider if you decide to go down the netbook route.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Marc, I have to disagree with the fact you say SSD's run cooler than HDD's. I've seen my SSD spike to well over 70C where as my spindle one doesnt go above 35C (So spindle runs cooler, but are more prone to breakdowns)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast