Thread: in need of a bit of help, please read....

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

in need of a bit of help, please read....

right ,,, where to start,

ill start with the big things first.

i have a 1999 2.0 sri (t reg), it has the 2.0 16v ectoec engine in it and im looking to put a redtop engine in as mine is a bit old and i could do with a little bit more power to the wheels. im completely new to vauxhalls so any help would be good. im bit of a dab hand with a spanner so im capable of doing it myself but im sure there are plenty of people out there who can help me and point me in the right direction.
    what i need to know really is will my gearbox fit a redtop, do i need different mounts or shafts and ecu and loom/transponder etc.......

next
    i have the white dials with only 120 on the clock and im looking to up grade them, what i need to know, are they simply plug in and out and what dials i can put in there with out changing anything(other then mileage).

also coming out of my rocker cover(front) there is a black box that runs to a metal oil pipe to the bottom of the block(i think) what is this??? ive been told to have away with it by someone but wondered why?

i know its a long list :-) any help will be so helpful

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    why the hell would u want a put a red top in!

presuming u mean a NA red top then on paper it may have 14bhp or so more than your current X20XEV its not a straight forward swap and its a backwards step!

i would suggest keeping your engine, or maybe doing a conversion to a Z20LET 2.0 turbo if costs allow..... or maybe just rebuild your current unit?

the black box is a crankcase breather box - personally i prefer the length of pipe but some use this box as its meant to collect any creamy oil residue build up etc

clocks are interchangeable and plug n play so no worries on that score

if however u do a red top conversion then the speedo and loads of the other wiring will not be plug and play and quite frankly a lot of work for not much real gain

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    red top seems like a silly idea then,,,, i was going to put a redtop in and mayb convert that... but seems like a lot of hassle..

should i just remove the box and replace with a hose?? i took the box off and it seems to be pretty clean. a small build up of creamy oil but nothing major

ill go and get some clocks today then and replace mine,

cheers for the help, much appreciated

:-)

Status
    Banned
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    As said by GB..

The thing about 'Red Top' is that people still think they are the holy grail of vxl engines.
    There's not a great deal of difference in the N/A enigne and your current one.
    ...and you would be putting a much older engine in if you did a conversion.
    ...and finding a good one is getting to be difficult.