Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Fuel Gauge

Hope this is the right section..

driving to work this morning and waiting in traffic, had quater tank left of fuel (couldnt be botherd getting night before) suddenly needle goes from quater to the red and stays there..when i got near work the needle began to move to the quater again

i dunno what this is maybe someone can shed some light!

cheers

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    This happens to me all the time, petrol light comes on, drop the car into my works car park, come out in the morning, back to quarter of a tank and then drive a few miles and its back to red again and i'm left going FFS do i need petrol or not? lol

I put it down to low level of fuel, cambers on the roads, inclines, declines all that sort of stuff, possibly outside temps. Quite a few variables.
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    haha its shady!

i thought about all these things but just the fact i was barly moving on a straight ground road and just decided to drop down..

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I know it may be a long shot but astra fuel filters tend to go a lot as its exposed under the car, could be all the salts corroded it? maybe leaking a bit cause the petrol to drop. I dunno, i guess you'd smell it or see petrol marks on the road.

I wonder how the gauge works in a car, is it like a toilet systern? where a ball floats on the top and where it sits shows up in the gauge? moving parts could be sticking in the cold weather and when the car heats up it moves freely,

In the wise words of chewin the fat "you've takin that too far"

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i allways try to keep a quarter of a tank in asi read think it was on this forum that any less an astra have a tendency to give a false reading
    1.6 16v duelfuel

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    mine does this all the time. Last night was the worst. I had parked the car in one of the side streets and when I came back to the car after work I turned the key it started but cut out and the fuel light was flashing.

The car was parked at an angle with the fuel cap side lower than the other side.

Walk to the nearest petrol station (about 10 mins away) and bought a petrol can and £6 of fuel (thats all I could fit in) filled the car up with this small amount of fuel started thecar and the fuel gauge went to just under quarter of a tank. When the car was onlevel gound it was just over 1/4 of a tank, and this morning it is a tiny bit more than the first red line.

Had this problem since getting the car I just go with a full tank will give me 300 miles or so a 1/4 of a tank just over 100. This is the one thing I hate about my coupe!
    Be an optimist - at least until they start moving animals in pairs to Cape Canaveral.

Status
    SRi Turbo :)
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I think i'm getting lucky with me sri-t then lol. my fuel guage seems pretty good compared to my old 1.8!

on the trip computer i chanced it to as low as 3 miles before filling up and i actually trust the guage in my car

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Ive had it flashing 0, then couple days later run out at 14 haha

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Adam_Astra_SXI View Post
    I think i'm getting lucky with me sri-t then lol. my fuel guage seems pretty good compared to my old 1.8!

on the trip computer i chanced it to as low as 3 miles before filling up and i actually trust the guage in my car
    I wonder if the method of gauging the level of petrol in the tank is more accurate in cars that have the trip computer? My ex wifes megane was the same, she could run it as low as that.

I suppose in a way you can think of it along the lines of this

no trip = analogue reading
    trip = digital reading

digital is going to be way more accurate.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just in accuracy on the guage really, not saying all Mk4's have this problem, but theres been few posts on here about it.
    I would say anything quater and under you are probably looking at it be tiny bit inaccurate.

Today I was driving, hard accerlation up slight incline (what Suffolk has for inclines!) fuel light came on, few miles later went off. 15min driving into town came on again.
    Disclaimer - some of the above text may actually be sarcasm (believe it or not!)

Astra 02, SRi 1.8i - Irmscher'd up (a bit) with Zebra front bumper