Thread: Buying software.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Buying software.

Basically I've Been djing for 10 years & now I'm starting to get into producing.

I've bought myself an iMac last week & the software I want is logic 9.

I've seen people selling it brand new on eBay for about £250. But places like digital village are selling it for £340. The people on eBay have good feedback ect but im just worried that it might be a copy of the software, because of how cheap it is.

Am I just being to paranoid or will it be the real McCoy if bought from a place like eBay?

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Buy it, and if its is a copy but a claim in against buyer for illegal software. you will get your money back and he will be banned.

But it maybe real its only £90 difference and shops tend to over charge anyways.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Hmmmm that's not a bad shout.

It's going to be a present for Christmas so don't want to be dissapointed in case of a cracked copy ect.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Email them and ask them, inform them you have received a counterfit copy from a previous seller and dont want to risk it again, its very unlikely they will tell you lies knowing you are covered by paypal and know what you are looking for.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just wrote a nice long post explaining so much...but of course I tried to post it at 9.00....and now its wandering aimlessly around the interweb....It was a good post too!

Finally a topic I can talk about with absolute certainty...and its all gone!

I will try and re-type it....but you all know it wont be as good second time round !

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by gambit_100 View Post
    just wrote a nice long post explaining so much...but of course I tried to post it at 9.00....and now its wandering aimlessly around the interweb....It was a good post too!

Finally a topic I can talk about with absolute certainty...and its all gone!

I will try and re-type it....but you all know it wont be as good second time round !
    I'm all ears when/if you re-type it.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The margin resellers make on Apple products in the UK (and globally) is the square root of ***** all.
    No one will ever get rich selling Apple products only, its the 3rd party stuff where the margins are. No retailer in the Uk will list any of the cases/headphones/chargers and all that kind of imuck unless the margins they are offered is circa 50% off srp, often more.

Bit I digress..Anyone selling Logic Studio in the UK, and claims it is a valid UK copy bought through proper channels (there are only 5 places that you can buy Apple products for resale from in the UK) for £250inc, I can with 100% certainty assure you that it is less than the price they paid for it.

So it begs the question, why would anyone sell something brand new for a loss....Unless it is an unwanted item etc

There is also the option that it may be a foreign version...the fx rates MAY, and I doubt it allow for a £250 sell...but massively unlikely.

So I would confirm that the product is still factory sealed, you wont want a version someone has bought, made a copy of and then is trying to reclaim some of the outlay through re-selling it. Apple licenses are not the most stringent when it comes to using them all over the place or using a cloned version.

There is also the opportunity to look at some alternatives... Ie- M-Audio (now Avid) they make excellent music and DJ software for Mac and PC.

Please feel free to ask anything...its what I do for a living

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    2 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Thanks for the info gambit. Here's a few links, let male know what you think?

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/logic-studio-p...8#ht_873wt_922

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Apple-Logic-St...#ht_1429wt_922

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/APPLE-LOGIC-ST...#ht_1146wt_922

That's just 3 examples, but like I've said alarm bells rung when I see the cheap prices. I don't mind getting it from eBay, I just want a clean genuine copy so I can start producing.

Oh & btw, I have to have logic. My mate is a dnb producer & he's willing to teach me the ins & outs, that mainly the reason why I bought the iMac.

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    To be honest they all ok. I would go with the best feedback. With Paypal and eBay protection you should be covered in any instance. Its a pain, but if anything goes wrong, you are covered.

Which ever way you look at it, they are a bargain and should get you churning out the tunes in no time.

PM me if you need any help or advice on input devices / monitors /and the like.