Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying an MK4 Astra (Petrol) - any advice of caution ?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Buying an MK4 Astra (Petrol) - any advice of caution ?

Hi all,

I'm planning to buy an MK4 Astra (2000 - 2003) and wanted to know if there are any specific things I should check on the car before buying ? As per the reviews, Astra is reliable and the only "known" issue is the EGR valve, but replacing an EGR valve is like £80 or so... so not too concerned. What are the other things to check ? Any other common faults ?

The car I'll buy would be from year 2000-2002 and with a mileage within 80K.. preferably cambelt done, or I will get it done.

Thanks,
    Drock.

PS: Is Focus more reliable than Astra in this range ? Asking in the wrong forum probably

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    astra's are really reliable, as long as there looked after well. i had a 1.6 16v mk4 sxi and it had 155k on when i sold to my mate and its still going strong and the engine is near enough silent. fairly easy to repair too.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drock View Post
    PS: Is Focus more reliable than Astra in this range ? Asking in the wrong forum probably
    Heresy! All I can quote is "Fix Or Repair Daily"

If you let us know what engine it has, we might be able to advise you on engine specific issues mate
    Project Club|HERE|COMMENTS|

Project Skyline|NOW HERE|

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    3 Post(s)
    Quoted
    7 Post(s)
    From what i can remember, you should check the temperature gauge works normally.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    It would be any of the engines (Z16XE - Z16SE - Z14XE) cause I'm looking at multiple cars right now. I personally prefer the Z16SE (1.6L 8V) as it's cheaper on insurance, but not getting one with a good deal... so probably it will be Z16XE (1.6L 16V). Is there any specific engine which is better than the others ?

What about the "Engine Management Light" issue ? There are several posts on the internet. and it seems that most don't get rectified easily ? Or am I just being over concerned ?

When I go see the cars this week, I'll check regular things like oil-coolant mix, engine oil/cap, idling, reving, smoke etc ... is there anything else that I should watch out for ?

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Im using a Z16SE at the moment, things to look out for are stuck open thermostat (when on the motorway temp never reads 90, always around 70-80)

I also get a ticking when the car is moving, coming from the front wheel arch area. Hard to describe but it gets faster as the car accelerates, I believe this is to do with the CV joint

Other than that Iv not had any issues other than a rattling sound coming from a rear hub. Iv heard the Z16XE ones are less reliable but thats only what Iv read.

Best of luck mate

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by arf View Post
    I also get a ticking when the car is moving, coming from the front wheel arch area. Hard to describe but it gets faster as the car accelerates, I believe this is to do with the CV joint
    From my experience, CV joint clicks when you turn, not when you go on straight road, and also, not much to do with the speed... did you check if there is any stone-chips from the road stuck in the tread of your tyre ?.. that's generally the case if the sound grows when you have walls on the side...

Let me do some reading between the 8V and 16V engines..do u know these 2 astras are different only by their engine, or anything else also different ?

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The 8v engine is more reliable than the 16v and easier to work on, but it is slow! The 16v is well known in the trade for, in particular, burning out valves and excessive oil consumption. I'm sure I'll get some stick for saying that, but that's the reputation those engines have.

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    make sure it has 4 wheels an engine and a stering wheel and u should be set to go
    --ASTRA COUPE HAS NOW SOLD...BUT THE BMW IS GREAT FUN!!--
    --ASTRA COUPE ALLOY WHEELS FOR SALE PM ME FOR DETAILS--

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by drock View Post
    From my experience, CV joint clicks when you turn, not when you go on straight road, and also, not much to do with the speed...
    Hummm, been reading up everywhere and thats the only explanation I could come out with. Nothing in the tyre.. The saga continues

But its getting the MOT done tomorrow, so if I remember I'll shout what problems come up on here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast