Thread: 1.4 not reving..

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

1.4 not reving..

Righto, got an N reg 1.4 Merit and it won't rev as it should.

Slight problem since i bought the car, when cold the car runs lumpy for the first half mile or so then fine.

Car broke down on the way back from shopping on Monday, cut out coming down the road. The crank pully bolt have worked loose and as such the pully was failing to make the signal for the sensor.

Put the pully back on, checked the timing. Bit shocked as the locater notch for the pully is missing and replaced by a white line any way, started car, idles fine. When you move the throttle cable the engine runs lumpy and almost cuts out, slight increase in revs but not as it should be. Engine is up to temp (fan kicks in) so what could the matter be?

Could the pully have slipped as i tightened it? Would a few mil be enough to mess up the signal for the ECU? My BIL seems adament that if the pully is off the engine wouldn't run at all.

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    needs the phonic wheel (pulley) so that the crank sensor can send the signal for the ignition. it will struggle greatly without this. woodruff key failure is common on early vauxhalls

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    thanks Steve, little update with this.

As the snow has finally cleared enough for me to find the car and road again.

Without the drive belt the engine runs as normal, with the belt, described fault is apparent. Crank pulley wobbles.

I'm thinking new pully and bolt.