Thread: that's not snow, THIS is snow ;)

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Cool that's not snow, THIS is snow ;)

just dug out some pics from my hard drive from when I was in Colorado back in 2002, and this kind of explains why English snow fails to impress me any more.

THIS is proper snow! in 2002 Colorado had it's worst snowstorm for 100 years, and I was out there in it! Denver International Airport closed for days and the spectacular roof ripped. I was working as a stud manager at Black Forest Shires & Gypsy Horses in Black Forest, near Colorado Springs. Both my bosses were away so I was pretty much on my own with my boss's elderly mother (who couldn't help with the horses at all), and her sister & her two girls. The girls were a fantastic help as they were light enough to crawl over the top of the snow without sinking in like I did. We were completely cut off and snowed in for over 2 weeks, even the huge grader snowploughs couldn't get through - one came 3 days in a row, and I could see him in the distance trying to get through and giving up - eventually he managed it and cleared the road, but clearing the farm drive took us days with the tractor too! My truck never did defrost while I was there and by the time I left to come back to the UK it was still stuck fast!

Spot the truck! Somewhere under there is my Dodge Ram Truck - you can see the little Union Jack flag I stuck on the aerial so that I could find it in supermarket car parks easily - just about the only thing still visible of the truck! It was under that snow for over 3 weeks - I never did get back into it again before I left, but I did have to send one of Chris's nieces in to retrieve some of my things by digging down to the back door so I could open the hatch a few inches for her to crawl through, she then went through the load bed and opened the hatch in the cab to get my things for me!

(I kind of came around the corner to feed the mare in the foaling stall and went "where the hell is my truck gone??? oh. bugger.)

he side of the main house - that is the second story balcony there! That bedroom is over the workroom at the back of the garage where I used to make the horns.

now THAT is snow! The "alley" leading to the stallion pens (and the back gate of the big pasture) was nearly 5 foot deep in places, I couldn't get through it, so that's Christian, Christine's niece, who was lightweight enough to crawl over the top of the snow without sinking, dragging a sled with hay and alfalfa on it to Gypsy stallion Rom Baro in the far pen, where she also checked his (heated) water supply was also working correctly. I couldn't have got through that winter without the help of Christine's two lovely nieces to help!

It wasn't easy caring for around 30 horses all living out, requiring hay, feed and water in such conditions but I managed it - dawn to dusk hard graft and falling to sleep exhausted as soon as my head hit the pillow, but it was still good fun somehow

Kirsty

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    i want some snowwwwwwwwwwww
    1.6 16v duelfuel

Status
    AOC Regular
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same here rob waiting on baited breath,my handbrakes itching for some fun
    After an OPC grille - PM meee

Status
    AstraSport Member
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by robs.project View Post
    i want some snowwwwwwwwwwww
    not like that you don't lol! If you want snow come to County Durham we have plenty by English standards atm, over a foot up here now

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    i wanna play in the snow! and theres a pony!!
    http://i441.photobucket.com/albums/q...9082011342.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by low3sy View Post
    that is the damage caused by something big and black smashing a ginger pussy

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    5 Post(s)
    Quoted
    14 Post(s)
    Thats a very short horse!
    1.7 DTi Estate

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)