Thread: Sky Broadband

Status
    Soft Top VTEC :)
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)

Thumbs Down Sky Broadband

Starting to get fed up with this service now, wonder if anyone else has the same problem?

Got a few problems so this is going to be an essay.

Biggest problem I have is p*ss poor wireless signal. You have to be within 5 metres of the router itself to work, I've tried configuring the router and changing the channel and all this seems to do is determine which wall I want to sit next to.

Second problem, download speed, got the old stats off an owd Netgear router, downstream speed was 3090kbps, this sky one 1900! up stream is pretty much the same story, about half of what it was. Ping aswell has nearly doubled, was about 39ms on the old router now its about 90 odd. Lags like hell on Xbox Live

Really not liking this service at all, I want to try putting the old router back on to see if this improves the problems, you could get a signal about 20-25m from the router! tried phoning sky up and a piss poor excuse of a message saying due to adverse weather conditions, Eff me, I'm outside doing labouring in -8! over 40 miles from home!

Any help at all is more than appreciated

Tom
    FULL Black Leather Heated coupe interior for sale! £200!!!
    Click Here

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    What brand of router is it? Our Netgear one with Sky is good, though our download never gets much above 2MBits now due to being on naff old lines 5 miles from the exchange.

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by nry View Post
    What brand of router is it? Our Netgear one with Sky is good, though our download never gets much above 2MBits now due to being on naff old lines 5 miles from the exchange.
    Sagem Fast router ( quite ironically name really )

I live as the crowflies about 1.5 miles from the biggest exchange in Britain, I'm getting anything from .6mb up to 1.8mb. My old Tiscalli package was about 2.50-3.0 on a good day!

Got a DG834G V3 here, really want to get that back online as that was so much better
    Click Here

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had the same issue with Sky at first.

they would put a whole batch of IP address on a "testing" phase with a throttled bandwidth or download speed, then conveniently forget to switch you back over. Skyuser forums have a note of these IP batches so that when you do a whatismyIP you can check to see what your on.

I then had trouble with my ping rate for online gaming, got them to change my max packet size to 32, apparently that made a difference.

I had trouble with my connection dropping out just randomly over the course of the day and they sent a BT engineer out to rewire my main BT box with an in built ADSL filter. That sorted everything out for me.

If you are not in the habit of attaching any xbox, ps3 or wireless devices regularly you might be better switching the uPNP setting off as this can cause bother.

Any of the above info was always advised on the Skyuser forums. They guys over there, similar to AOC, do their best to get your connection running sweet.

A little tip i found very useful was a thing called re-syncing the noise margin. On the router status page (Internet Explorer - 192.168.0.1 in the address bar and username:admin & password:sky ) i found my noise margin to be really low, and when it dropped below 5db the signal cut out. I was advised one night to reset the router (power out and in again) at a busy peroid in the day for net traffic ( 6pm -7pm) and then, the router re-syncs at a higher noise margin, meaning when its quiet it doesnt drop below 5db.

Alot to take in there, but doing all these things had my connection sorted.

Paul
    IT Services for Glasgow, UK
    This is only here for google webmaster tools purposes.

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Cheers for the advice paul, shall have a browse on there now
    Click Here

Status
    /
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by Toms1989 View Post
    Got a DG834G V3 here, really want to get that back online as that was so much better
    Should be able to get it working. There are pages online that will give you your sky username + password. Just need to enter your serial number + WEP key IIRC. Enter this into your old router and away you go.

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    8 Post(s)
    Quoted
    4 Post(s)
    I was thinking about getting the TV and Broadband package when i move into my new place soon. Should i have second thoughts, or are sky generally ok?

Didnt mean to hijack your thread Tom lol
    Honda Civic Type R

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Never had an issue myself, more reliable than my old provider.

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by trenchy View Post
    I was thinking about getting the TV and Broadband package when i move into my new place soon. Should i have second thoughts, or are sky generally ok?

Didnt mean to hijack your thread Tom lol
    No worries mate

Well my old tiscali package was a hell of a lot better, much more reliable download speeds, ping was lower. Wish we had that back to be fair!
    Click Here

Status
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by buckle View Post
    Should be able to get it working. There are pages online that will give you your sky username + password. Just need to enter your serial number + WEP key IIRC. Enter this into your old router and away you go.
    Just looking at that now

Can't obtain my password and username, struggling at the moment
    Click Here

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast