Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Exclamation Rear brake problem and cold weather

What happened :

1) First 4 miles or so of driving, felt like a slight pulling on the car ( obvious to me now brake slightly sticking )

2) Shortly after 4 miles a whining/swirling sound from rear passenger side wheel area which stopped upon applying the foot brake.

3) Shortly after that brake pedal was going straight to the floor but would resume normal operation upon a few pumps of the pedal.

4) On the last 2 miles on my way back home brake pedal operated as normal and all seemed fine. There was a smell which i cannot explain when i parked up, i touched the tyre and it wasnt any hotter than the others altho the rim did seem warmer ( but not untouchable )

I didnt put the handbrake on when i stopped ( just left in reverse gear ).
    10 minutes later i checked to see if the brake was seized ( my drive isnt quite flat ) the car moved straight away once i took it out of gear and stopped instant when i applied the foot brake. I repeated this a few times, result was normal.

To recap, tempreture was well below freezing last night. Passenger side rear wheel. Brake fluid is on the max line with no signs of leak around the master cylinder or bubbles etc in the tank itself.

Any ideas peeps ??

Sorry, i should also mention the car is 1.7 TD 1999 X17DTL,braking system is disks and pads on rear

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    2 Post(s)
    The same thing happened to me this morning mate, the temperature was minus 12 here mind.

It could be a couple of things. You could have water accumulated in your fluid and this could have frozen in the caliper. It could also be that the pads have just frozen stuck to the discs.

I'm sure one of the more technically minded heads on here will have a more thorough diagnosis for you soon.

Like i said, same thing happened to me this morning, cured itself after 5 minutes, looks like it's going to be a hard winter

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Get the handbrake sticking when its very cold, had it last year too, had all the fluids changed, new pads and discs since then too... I tend to leave the brake off overnight if i know its going to be cold, just leave it in gear. Dads van and mums car does the same and theyre both vauxhalls so just think its a vauxhall thing.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I had it happen a few times last year when the hand-brake stuck on. I had to let it thaw out before it would release. The cable was quite old, so I suspect there was some water/moisture in it which froze over night. I changed the cable with the first good weather and the problem went. In fact I suspect the old cable was causing the brakes to drag even when the weather was warm.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I'm having this problem ever since i replaced the handbrake cable????
    Looks as thop previous owner and loosened the cable ....

Do you think this will be cured by new pads / discs / caliper?
    You only need 2 things on life... WD40 & Duct Tape
    If it doesn't move, but should, use WD40
    If it does move, but shouldn't, use Duct Tape