Thread: HIDs fog lamp question

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)

HIDs fog lamp question

I know some members say it just brights up the fog and doesn't really work but..................for those that have converted did you:

1. convert the car fog lamp loom with headlight connectors to aid the conversion and leave the HID ballast loom intact?
    2. 'cut and shut' the HID ballast to the car loom?
    3. or is there another way?
    Cheers,
    Dave
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Anyone converted their halogen fogs to HIDs?
    Whiteline RARB & Strut Brace with Eibach Pro, Bilstein B4s & RnD Droplinks - FARB Powerflex'd

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Which fog lights have you got? I converted the fogs in my coupe bumper before I fitted the GSi bumper to my car

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by se6 View Post
    Which fog lights have you got? I converted the fogs in my coupe bumper before I fitted the GSi bumper to my car
    I've just got standard SXi fogs. I was hoping to replace the Halogen H3 with HIDs, and the only HID ballast connectors I've seen have the headlight/main beam size connector (which is a different size).

Cheers,
    Dave

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    The HID bulbs come with spade connectors for the supply of power to the ballast (in the headlights you neglect these as the power from the car plugs directly into the ballast so are usually cut off) So from memory, I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the back of the fog light cover for the HID bulb grommet to fit into. The standard bulbs used spade connectors. So I connected the correct spade connectors together and away you go. Does that make sense?

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    29 Post(s)
    Quoted
    30 Post(s)
    Quote Originally Posted by se6 View Post
    The HID bulbs come with spade connectors for the supply of power to the ballast (in the headlights you neglect these as the power from the car plugs directly into the ballast so are usually cut off) So from memory, I used a hole saw to cut a hole in the back of the fog light cover for the HID bulb grommet to fit into. The standard bulbs used spade connectors. So I connected the correct spade connectors together and away you go. Does that make sense?
    I think it all makes sense. I shouldn't need to modify the looms at all, its simply a case of using the extra HID wiring (no doubt - why its included).

Cheers mate .
    Dave

Status
    AOC Fanatic
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    can you get some pics up of this on how you did it mate? if im correct i know from next year HIDS will fail MOT if in headlights but nothing mentioned about fogs?