Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

Rear brakes stuck on!!!!

Hi

My rear brakes seem to be stuck on, but only the left rear is stuck the right rear is turning. I have just been out in the snow and minus 6 is indicated on my dash, so I thought it might just be a bit of ice causing the mechanism to stick.

I pulled out onto some tarmac hoping to free the wheel but the problem is still there, and not only that but both the ABS and traction control lights are now on.

I'm going to jack the back up, whip the rears off and have a look tomorrow morning but anybody any ideas what this could be? Would a frozen brake caliper set the ABS and traction control lights off?

Anyone any bright ideas on how to defrost a brake caliper (if that's the problem)? I don't want to pour hot water on as this will only freeze again, and I don't want to use de-icer. Hairdryer perhaps!!!

Thanks

Al

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Very common in winter, its horrible pulling off and losing the back end on ice as you realise youre draggin it! Thankfully not had the experience yet this year... I found giving the car a little rock back and forth with the accelerator seemed to free it up before I pulled off, a lot of people who get it bad just leave the motor in gear instead of using the hand brake, dunno if id go that route tho, had a mate who got shunted a while back who used to leave his car in gear, not much damage apart from a cracked bumper, oh and the gearbox fell out... lol
    N.b. any opinitons expressed above should be ignored and considered 'ramblings', under no circumstances should they be relied upon...

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    I wish it would just free itself up, it's a bit more serious than that. I assume that there is a bigger fault than the handbrake/caliper sticking as these are mechanical, and the ABS and traction control lights are on, meaning the ECU detects a fault.

This did not happen last year, when it was -14!!!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    just grab the handbrake cable where it meets the caliper and give it a good yank

the car obviously senses only one wheel is not turning so has logged a ABS fault and tripped the lights

try to release the cable and take it from there

oh and always park in gear with handbrake off!

first sign of the white stuff and torrent of these threads....happens every year without fail

i use de-icer personally - or have done in the past - some wd40 should help the cable too - anything to grease it up and free movement

Status
    AOC Premium Member
    Drives
    Astra SRI-T
    Mentioned in
    1 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Same problem here. Handbrake stuck on. As above easiest way is to leave the car in gear handbrake off, failing that wd40 on the handbrake cable. Mine does free itself up eventually while driving, but its not fun trying to climb a hill covered in ice with the front wheels struggling to find traction, dragging the back wheels as the handbrake is stuck on
    Never happy, always wanting more!

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Been out this morning. The flexible gaiter that covers the end of the cable has split, causing water and muck to get into the cable housing and seize the cable.

Copious amounts of WD40 and a hammer has freed it up, but I'll need a more permanent fix.

Can I buy the gaiters from anywhere?

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Ive had and extreme version of this, happened this morning, got half way to work nasty noise and a very very RED hot disk on the rear right, think Ive cooked the pads/disk I'll give it a look over my self before i take it too the garage.

Scott

Status
    Cumbria RO | Club Team
    Mentioned in
    48 Post(s)
    Quoted
    1 Post(s)
    I've got into the habit of parking in gear with the handbrake off during this time of year. Not worth the hassle and possible dangers of having your handbrake stuck on.

Status
    AOC Newbie
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    Just checked it all over, there freed off now, but the disk is more then likely funked, so Ive took into the garage for them to check over and replace what ever needs doing, it's too cold and shit to be on the drive replacing parts!

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    happend to me too so pissed as the garage next door want 20 quid to turn the lights off, can it be sorted with taking battery off for a bit

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast