Thread: my brakes

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)

my brakes

hi guys, bought some new disks today, just wondering if there is a how-to for it?

im fairly confident it will be an easy job but i just want to double check is all, what size is the retaining bolt allen key??

also, what brake fluid can i use and where can i get it from? as Vauxhall reported in their free health check it was over 2 years old and needed changing

so how can i do this? i dont have a bleeder and i dont know what im doing in that respect either and i would like to be sure as its a saftey issue

thanks tone
    G t c

soon!

Status
    Tech Advisor/Moderator
    Mentioned in
    52 Post(s)
    Quoted
    240 Post(s)
    looosen wheel nuts, jack up car, remove wheel, undo caliper using allen key (7mm iirc). remove old pads and tie up caliper to strut. remove the caliper carrier bolts (these will need a breaker bar) lift off carrier and then undo the brake disc securing screw (torx bit).
    lift/tap the disc off hub. clean up hub with emery paper and remove all traces of rust/dirt. fit new disc and secure. fit new pads and grease their backs to avoid brake squeel. fit caliper carrier back, using thredlock on bolts, then fit caliper.
    to bleed the brakes out, get a piece of pipe and bottle and open the back passenger brake nipple, with the pipe on the nipple. get an assistant to pump the peddle and each time they are down with the peddle, close the nipple and repeat this until half a bottle of fresh fluid is used, then use the rest of the bottle by bleeding the rear drivers, then front passenger, front drivers. top up with fluid to max line, job done

Status
    AOC Obsessed
    Mentioned in
    0 Post(s)
    Quoted
    0 Post(s)
    better still get someone local to give u a hand

if by your own admission u aint got a clue with regards the bleeding etc - dont chance it

gunsons eazibleed however is a very wise investment but would definitely recommend an experienced person to lend a hand